johnggrg

Slip On Shoulder Pad For Rifle Sling

I'm Looking for a pattern for a slip on padded shoulder pad for a rifle sling. I want one for my Mauser rifle. The original sling is 1 inch wide. This is my hunting rifle and would like a nice padded shoulder pad. Can anyone help me? Changing the sling all together is not an option for me. Any help would be greatly apreciated. Thank you. John

I am new to leather work and have only done some small projects. I like it and want to do more. I think I'm hooked. But anyways I just need some ideas or examples to go from not necessarlly a pattern but that would be cool to. I never made a shoulder pad before so any help would be appreciated. Thank you. John

I've never made one like your talking about but this is what i do. Make a pattern the size you want. Cut 1 piece of suede, tow pieces of leather and 1 piece of foam or what ever type of padding you want. Then cut two slots 1 1/4 inches wide in the top piece for the sling to slide through. Glue the suede, padding and middle piece of leather togeather. Then glue the top piece around the edges and around the edges of the leather next to the padding stick togeather and sew. Then thread you sling through and put it on your rifle.

post-11301-009895600 1287759717_thumb.jp

Dirtclod thank you for the reply and your help with this. Do you think wool fur could be used instead of suede and the foam? Well sheepskin leather with fur on that is. As for leather I was going to go with 5-6 ounce leather for the outside. John

Sheep skin with the wool on it should be fine. The suede is just to keep the sling from slipping off of you shoulder and the wool on sheep skin do the same thing.

Sheep skin with the wool on it should be fine. The suede is just to keep the sling from slipping off of you shoulder and the wool on sheep skin do the same thing.

Thank you!! for your help. John

Thank you!! for your help. John

John your welcome. Post a picture of it when you get it made.

John

John your welcome. Post a picture of it when you get it made.

John

Will do. Thanks again. John

Well had some problems uploading pics so I just put a link for photobucket. The leather string slips up threw where the sling attaches to the rifle. It's a Mauser rifle by the way. It works perfect for what I needed and it doesn't slip or slide in any direction. I know it is primative compared to the work you guys do but I am happy with it. The fur is wool on leather. The leather I used was 5-6 ounce coated with liquid mink oil with no silacone. It said it waterproofs so I went with it. Hope you like it. John

Is the link working? trying to upload a pic. post-11154-066020900 1288535272_thumb.jp

post-11154-012448800 1288535822_thumb.jp

post-11154-056652900 1288535942_thumb.jp

post-11154-097832800 1288536034_thumb.jp

ok hard to load them. notall there but hope you like. john

So how did I do? It was my first real leather project. John

People keep looking and no comment. This was my first project. I guess it's not to good. John

Hi John your pad looks pretty good to me. On the next one i would round the corners instead of them being square espically if you use a heavier piece of leather to keep them from gougeing your shoulder. Where you have a bow tied is that hat keeps the sling tied to the rifle ? If it is i would suggest try tieing it like this. Start just your going to tie a knot but go around with that string two more times and then pull both ends. You have a knot that won't get caught on a limb and come untied but it easy to get undone.

Dirtclod thanks for the reply. Yes it is attached there. But I have the string going up threw the sling ring on both sides. (going threw the same loop as the sling). Yes I was thinking of rapping it a little to take up some slack. So far the way it sets on the shoulder is perfect no digging in anywhere. It was my first project like this and have not learned enough to go round yet but get your point on that. As for the pad it is alot of pad for me. Seems to take the weight off or just feels better. Thanks again for your comments. Next time it will be better. John

Gday John

I think you have done a top job mate !!!! and that pad looks as soft as .

Keep up the good work mate

Cheers

Bevan

John, the photos are loaded to large to be able to tell anything about the pad! Main thing is that if it pleases you for a first project, then that is all that matters! Keep on doing leather work and strive to learn and improve and you will with every project. Don't get discouraged if things go wrong sometimes, because mistakes are made even by professionals. Good luck and keep on working leather!!

Beven and bdt46 thank you for the replies complements. Sorry about the pictures. I wasn't sure how to resize them. But yes I am happy with it. The sheepskin fur made a really comfortable pad with no slide at all. I think it will last a long time and that's good enough for me. I did learn a few things making this and that was good. So here's hoping the next project turns out better. Thanks again. John

Beven and bdt46 thank you for the replies complements. Sorry about the pictures. I wasn't sure how to resize them. But yes I am happy with it. The sheepskin fur made a really comfortable pad with no slide at all. I think it will last a long time and that's good enough for me. I did learn a few things making this and that was good. So here's hoping the next project turns out better. Thanks again. John

I have now doubt at all mate ,,, the more you do the better you get ,,, and that goes for all of us

I hope you keep on posting John because we all learn from each other

Cheers

Bevan

www.bwrwhips.com

I think for your first project you did excellent. It looks tightly and neatly stitched, matches the original rifle sling, mounts well and looks comfortable, what more could you ask for? I'm no leather expert but have made quite a few bags, sheaths and holsters and that looks far better than my first few projects.

I think you should be dang happy with the pad. Well done.

Edited by amcardon

People keep looking and no comment. This was my first project. I guess it's not to good. John

If you think it is not too good, maybe it isn't. Don't expect folks to fall over themselves to comment on something that has only been posted for a short time.

Patience is a virtue. You done okay for a first project. If you keep at it you will likely want to make another that you will like even better.eusa_naughty.gif

ferg