UKRay

Highlead GA2688-1

This is the machine I have just purchased http://www.highlead.co.uk/highlead-GA2688.html. and I'm currently in the process of getting it ready for some serious work. I'm having a servo motor fitted this week, but apparently there are a number of accessories available - can anyone tell me what they are and if they are worth obtaining?

Hope you can help!

And so it begins..............

:thumbsup:

Badger

You get back in your box, Badger. This is my obsession and I'm paying for it!

And so it begins..............

:thumbsup:

Badger

You get back in your box, Badger. This is my obsession and I'm paying for it!

Yeah!!!............. OBSESSSSSSIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!

Don't fight it.........just sit back and let it run its course................

Ray,

I hear they make a commode seat that bolts to the machine and a combination glucose solution dispenser/thread stand. Like a big hamster bottle.

You need never stop sewing again.

Ok, shutting up now. :yeah:

Badger

Ray,

I hear they make a commode seat that bolts to the machine and a combination glucose solution dispenser/thread stand. Like a big hamster bottle.

Badger

Does it come in stainless steel?

Pish! You are simply green with 'reverse' envy.

Look at this specification and weep, Badger :

• Max sewing speed: 800rpm

• Stitch length: 0-11mm

• Needle bar stroke: 56mm

• Take up stroke: 96mm

• Presser foot lift by hand: 13mm

• Presser foot lift by foot: 20mm

Now as we all know, I loved old Biggles but the 'all singing, all dancing' MacBiggles has gotten him beat - and no, Ed, it doesn't come in stainless steel, he is just teasing you. Get back to work, man, we need four more briefcases by tomorrow morning!

Ray,

Badger

Pish! You are simply green with 'reverse' envy.

Look at this specification and weep, Badger :

• Max sewing speed: 800rpm

• Stitch length: 0-11mm

• Needle bar stroke: 56mm

• Take up stroke: 96mm

• Presser foot lift by hand: 13mm

• Presser foot lift by foot: 20mm

Now as we all know, I loved old Biggles but the 'all singing, all dancing' MacBiggles has gotten him beat - and no, Ed, it doesn't come in stainless steel, he is just teasing you. Get back to work, man, we need four more briefcases by tomorrow morning!

I think we can get that presser foot lift a bit higher. What do you think all those Allen head bolts are for?

Ed, I'm starting to think you could be a very bad influence on me...

I think we can get that presser foot lift a bit higher. What do you think all those Allen head bolts are for?

Ray, I especially like how you use the metric listing of clearances to make it seem bigger......13mm indeed. That's a whole lot snazzier than "half inch".

The web description even uses the term "massive 400 mm" describing the arm.

<sigh> Sorry, Ray, I let my machine envy get the better of me.

So have you named this one yet?

I'm sure that Badger wont be trading his BRITISH made Pearson for a Highlead, will you Badger?

Tony.

Hello:

We offer a number of accessories that will fit this machine. We have holster plates, stirrup plates, flat slotted needle plates, smooth feed dogs, double toe harness maker's feet, left and right toe harness maker's feet, blanket feet, and left and right toe feet with the center dimpler foot, and a few others.

All of our presser feet and needle plates are made of solid stainless steel.

We also have speed reducers for your machine, which will slow the machine down and add quite a bit of punching power. These are good to use even with servo motors.

We also have extra large balance wheels (flywheels) to fit this model. This will make it easier to turn the machine over by hand.

We also offer titanium nitride coated shuttle hooks to fit this model, which will allow the hook to wear a bit better over time. These hooks are gold colored, just like drill bits that have this coating.

Hope this is of some use to you. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me on my international phone line, which is (330) 692-1418, or e-mail me at neelre@comcast.net

Kindest Regards,

Ryan O. Neel

Neel's Saddlery and Harness

Cowboy Sewing Machines

Tony,

No time soon, no. The Pearson stays.

My ribbing of Ray is all in good spirits (let's face it, he has it coming :lol:) .

I love the old 'Pilot' machine which Ray's replacing with the Highlead.

Ray,

The machine looks very impressive in all seriousness. Yes, I have 'reverse envy', but it's mine. I own it :crazy:

Badger

Edit; can't spell for shti....

Edited by badger

As Badger so rightly says... I've probably got it coming!

I'll be in touch as soon as I have sight of the machine again, Ryan. Many thanks for the information it is most helpful.

The naming ceremony is in a few weeks time, Mike. Would you like an invitation? I'm glad you joined in this conversation, but remembering your scurrilous comments about my dear old Pilot all those months ago I ought to remind you to play nicely this time. Some people are very sensitive about their nice new machinery... LOL

BTW: Having humped this thing down a flight of stairs, halfway across a field and all the way home from Bonnie Scotland, I'm inclined to agree with MASSIVE. I promise you, the further you carry it the bigger it seems...

Tony - I do declare you're a bigger wind up merchant than the irrepressible (and apparently dyslexic) Badger. We ae talking production machine here not historic artefact! I had a museum piece for a while (it is now Badger's - a British made BUSM Pilot called Biggles) and now I need to do some proper work - okay?

Hi Ray,

I was beginning to wonder which machine you were getting, I can now see that it's pretty much the same type as I have here, only with a different badge! I'm pretty certain that you won't be disappointed with the performance, I can do pretty well most things with this one! Next time you come down here, I'll show you how to bind with it!

I don't think there's much point in me naming all the machines we've got here, I don't think I'd be able to remember them all!

Steve

I'll definitely take you up on that offer, Steve. You are most kind.

I have some clicking for you to do sometime soon so perhaps we can combine both operations. I'll let you know when as soon as I have seen and approved the new knives. They should be here this week.

Naming all the machines in your workshop - I don't think so, life is far too short! Unfortunately, I just can't help it... sad eh?

Hi Ray,

I was beginning to wonder which machine you were getting, I can now see that it's pretty much the same type as I have here, only with a different badge! I'm pretty certain that you won't be disappointed with the performance, I can do pretty well most things with this one! Next time you come down here, I'll show you how to bind with it!

I don't think there's much point in me naming all the machines we've got here, I don't think I'd be able to remember them all!

Steve

Is it me or does it look just like an Artisen?

Hope I did not start another sewing machine war?

RC

Is it me or does it look just like an Artisen?

Hope I did not start another sewing machine war?

RC

Hey Randy, you could be right - or maybe an Artisan looks like a Highlead?

You could almost think they came from the same factory!

Hi Ray,

Steve

Binding with the 441..............Hmmmmmmmmmm!

Steve, do you require any special attachment to bind with this machine?

Ed

Binding with the 441..............Hmmmmmmmmmm!

Steve, do you require any special attachment to bind with this machine?

Ed

Hi Ed,

No, I don't use any special attachments other then a simple edge guide. I use my fingers instead of a folder and feed the leather tape through, keeping it as equal as possible both sides, there is a bit more to it than that, but it's rather difficult to describe, I would have to demonstrate. It's just practice, really, but I do find it more accurate than a folder/binder attachment, as some of these can be troublesome at times, particularly on curves. The only efficient edge binding setup is a machine fitted with a synchro binder and a right angled folder, however, these can also be problematical, on occasions, with leather. That's why hands are best!

Oh, and Ray, I'm pretty certain that the Highlead, Artisan and our Typical are all made in the same factory! Look forward to hearing from you soon re clicking!

Steve

Edited by SteveBrambley

Hi Ray,

My son grunts a little when he picks up the big Highlead. He turns a shade of red or slightly purple when he horses around the No.9. The both of us are needed to pick up the Campbell, and we're big boys. The 35" puppies are fork lift time.

Get your throat plates from Ryan or Steve, theirs have a little adjustment in them which is really handy for the slotted or raised ones. I've seen some from other distributors that are fixed, no play, which requires a boatload of precision on all the parts and I have seen instances where the needle scrapes the slot.

Art

Art

As Badger so rightly says... I've probably got it coming!

I'll be in touch as soon as I have sight of the machine again, Ryan. Many thanks for the information it is most helpful.

The naming ceremony is in a few weeks time, Mike. Would you like an invitation? I'm glad you joined in this conversation, but remembering your scurrilous comments about my dear old Pilot all those months ago I ought to remind you to play nicely this time. Some people are very sensitive about their nice new machinery... LOL

BTW: Having humped this thing down a flight of stairs, halfway across a field and all the way home from Bonnie Scotland, I'm inclined to agree with MASSIVE. I promise you, the further you carry it the bigger it seems...

Tony - I do declare you're a bigger wind up merchant than the irrepressible (and apparently dyslexic) Badger. We ae talking production machine here not historic artefact! I had a museum piece for a while (it is now Badger's - a British made BUSM Pilot called Biggles) and now I need to do some proper work - okay?

Hi Ray,

My son grunts a little when he picks up the big Highlead. He turns a shade of red or slightly purple when he horses around the No.9. The both of us are needed to pick up the Campbell, and we're big boys. The 35" puppies are fork lift time.

Get your throat plates from Ryan or Steve, theirs have a little adjustment in them which is really handy for the slotted or raised ones. I've seen some from other distributors that are fixed, no play, which requires a boatload of precision on all the parts and I have seen instances where the needle scrapes the slot.

Art

Art

I've found out that the Dremel is my machine's best friend. If any of the needle plates don't allow the needle to go through the center of the slot, you can always grind a smidgen off the machine-end of the plate.

ed

Yep, that's what they use.

Art

I've found out that the Dremel is my machine's best friend. If any of the needle plates don't allow the needle to go through the center of the slot, you can always grind a smidgen off the machine-end of the plate.

ed

I'm sure that Badger wont be trading his BRITISH made Pearson for a Highlead, will you Badger?

Tony.

I have it on good authority that the Badger's beloved Pearson may soon be relegated to the second tier and could even be up for sale if the price was right... so much for predictions, eh?

Ray

The Pearson will never be second tier Ray, but always in a league of it's own.

It isn't relegated, but has it's own special place in the workshop. The new machine will be the workhorse and the Pearson will live a happy life of semi retirement. Because of the way the Pearson stitches, the look will always be right for certain kinds of work.

Badger