Sign in to follow this  
myleatherstrap

Satin Shene Discolor/pick Up Color

Morning,

I have dyed my leather using eco-flo timber brown and then coating a satin shene on top of it. But the matter is i found out when coating satin shene on my leather it keep picking up the color even after many coats. For your information i let the leather dried few days and put under the sun. but the result is the same. Previously, all my leather project i use super shene but i'm swith to satin shene as it would leave non-glossy effect.

Can anyone give me some advices.

Best Regards,

Mike Lo

Did you or do you buff out your project after the dye settles in? There is always residue of dye that does not penetrate the leather during the application. This might be your problem.

Hi King's X,

I didn't buff my project after dye. Now my project coated with satin shene. I've tried to buff it but the residue dye doen't stick to the cloth. Will buffing acetone will do the work?

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Mike Lo

Did you or do you buff out your project after the dye settles in? There is always residue of dye that does not penetrate the leather during the application. This might be your problem.

FWIW from the grumpy old guy: Eco-flo is water based (personally, I won't use it) ..... so is the satin shene and/or the super shene. When one hits the other (even if the dye is dry) they want to mix 'cause the finish re-moistens the dye. That's especially true if you are applying mechanically (by dauber, cloth, wool skin) Get hold of one of the other suppliers and go to Fiebing's, Angelus or any of the spirit or oil dyes and your problems are over. Or apply your finish very lightly with an airbrush. Personally, I use very little of Tandy stuff. Mike

Edited by katsass

Not sure how you can make any changes once it has been finished. Hope somone can jump on here and give you some assistance.

Future use - I find that wiping down after dying and then buffing before applying spray finish will help reduce this if not eleminate it all together.

Fiebings dye IMHO is like night and day to the eco from tandy. I find the fiebings takes better and looks nicer than the eco dye.

If your dye has rubbed off, I would try to do the following. You have to understand what Katass is saying is true to me as well, but I usually follow my dyeing process with Antique Gel when it came to Eco-Flo and than a spray finish. I still have Eco-Flo products, but I mostly use Fiebings products now.

Understand that your project might be ruined at this point (without pictures, I am just guessing), but hell go out with a bang. I would try rubbing Eco-Flo Antique Gel all over the project and wipe/buff off. Than spray a finish on to try and secure the dye product. What do you have to lose at this point.

A lot of use on here with some leather-craft experience ruined a LOT of projects until they understood their recipes

Good luck