LilRay

$100 To Spend Total Newbie. Where To Start?

Hey folks, I'm new here, and I have no clue where to begin. I have Cerebral Palsy and I'd like to learn leathercraft to earn a little money here and there for small things. I enjoy the idea of leathercraft as a possible business but I have 0 experience and 0 tools.

If you were in my shoes, with $100 to spend to start, what would be your course of action?

By the way I live 100 miles away from any Tandy to take any instruction, and being disabled I don't have a drivers license.

OK LETS GO!!!!

:D

God Bless, Ray

Hey folks, I'm new here, and I have no clue where to begin. I have Cerebral Palsy and I'd like to learn leathercraft to earn a little money here and there for small things. I enjoy the idea of leathercraft as a possible business but I have 0 experience and 0 tools.

If you were in my shoes, with $100 to spend to start, what would be your course of action?

By the way I live 100 miles away from any Tandy to take any instruction, and being disabled I don't have a drivers license.

OK LETS GO!!!!

God Bless, Ray

Access the Tandy Web Site. Consider one of the Starter Kits they have. This will provide you with a few small items to try your hand at. While on the site read and observe the free content

that involves "How To". This will get your feet wet :)

ferg

do you live near a hobby lobby, they have starter kits too for very little money, just an option

A starter kit is right so far. Do you have anything you want to focus on? It'll help narrow down any other tools you'll need to start.

I'm a hobbyist musician so eventually I'd like to try my hand at guitar straps etc. I have a lot of friends who might buy from me IF I can pull off a decent product.

Thanks all.

God Bless, Ray

I'm a hobbyist musician so eventually I'd like to try my hand at guitar straps etc. I have a lot of friends who might buy from me IF I can pull off a decent product.

Thanks all.

God Bless, Ray

I would highly suggest a good strap cutter and a strap end cutting stamp. With that said, you can cut everything with a good sharp utility knife to get you started, just be careful with it. I use a head knife for the long straight cuts, but that takes some getting used to and it would eat your budget quick.

Pulled the trigger today on Tandy's Deluxe Leathercraft Kit. Was able to get it for $58 shipped. I may be able to find a decent Alphabet set for what I have left.

Well I'm off and running. :) Wish me luck.

:thumbsup:

God Bless, Ray

Pulled the trigger today on Tandy's Deluxe Leathercraft Kit. Was able to get it for $58 shipped. I may be able to find a decent Alphabet set for what I have left.

God Bless, Ray

GOOD LUCK that is exactly the same set I got when I started back into this crazy hobby. If you watch ebay sometimes you can find a good letter set. Or if you have a freecycle try asking the members if they have anything they could give you. Also some of us on here might have some stuff we would sell for cheap or maybe even free.

If you have a hard time holding the stamps I have figured out a way to make them bigger using the sculpy clay wrapped around them, it has a good grip and after its baked its waterproof.

best of luck to ya and hope you do well.

Peace

Bryan

GOOD LUCK that is exactly the same set I got when I started back into this crazy hobby. If you watch ebay sometimes you can find a good letter set. Or if you have a freecycle try asking the members if they have anything they could give you. Also some of us on here might have some stuff we would sell for cheap or maybe even free.

If you have a hard time holding the stamps I have figured out a way to make them bigger using the sculpy clay wrapped around them, it has a good grip and after its baked its waterproof.

best of luck to ya and hope you do well.

Peace

Bryan

Thanks a lot Brian!:You_Rock_Emoticon:

I've got good use of both hands. It's my balance I struggle with. Gonna get my feet wet in 3-5 business days.:red_bandana:

God Bless, Ray

God Bless, Ray

Where were you able to find the Deluxe Leathercraft Kit at for that price?

Where were you able to find the Deluxe Leathercraft Kit at for that price?

Found it on Ebay NIB. The person I got it from had 2 left but that was back in February. They don't have any FS as of now.

God Bless, Ray

Found it on Ebay NIB. The person I got it from had 2 left but that was back in February. They don't have any FS as of now.

God Bless, Ray

Very Cool. Thanks for the quick reply. Hoping to get started soon!