jnggatts

12 Gauge Shotgun Shell Bandolier Help?

I have an order for a 12 gauge shotgun Bandolier. I have not done one of there as of yet and was wondering if anyone can give me any tips or patterns? The request was for one 4" wide and a total length of 66". 4" wide seems extreme and too wide to be worn over the shoulder. Can anyone tell me what an average width for a Bandolier is?

Thanks,

Gary Gatts

J & G Leatherworks and Tack

http://stores.shop.e...rworks-and-Tack

Gary,

I've made a few shotgun cartridge belts - for the waist but with an over-the-shoulder option.

The one I'm making at the moment is 2.1/2" wide. The loops are 1.1/2" wide.

The part of the belt (less billet and chape) which carries the cartridges is 44" long and it will carry 40, 12 bore cartridges.

The chape and billets will be 1.1/2" wide.

I also provide an extension strap, usually 18 - 24" long and 1.1/2" wide, that can be added to extend the belt for over the shoulder use.

Hope that helps.

Gary

4" wide seems too wide to me too, I'd probably shoot for a tad wider than the length of the shells he'll be using. I don't know the average width but I'd say that would vary depending on the type of shell I'm not a bandolier maker so don't take my word for it.

Here is the only thing I ever made with bullet loops. I do primarily modern gunleather so this was different than what I normally do.

A0514EA8-C1D4-4EF8-9AA4-0398A634BB3D-10019-00000C510833A18C_zpse5ac8513.jpg

4714D43E-6167-4B68-A1C2-F176DDA8E1AB-10019-00000C511F25BC58_zps365badbf.jpg

I made one for myself a while ago. It is 3" wide and I definitely wouldn't want to go any wider because the shells will have too much leather on either side of them to be readily accessible. (my opinion)

I can try to dig up some pictures of what I did later on. I wove the loops through the bandolier vs. sewing them on.

I didn't make it like a standard belt, as in it isn't round and wouldn't work around a waiste. It is more like a pirate sword hanger thingy design where I made a loop with the belt strip and sewed the ends together in a diamond....

As I try to describe it I am making myself confused. I will do what I can to get pictures up.

Gary's comments mirrored here, any wider that 21/2 and you going to have an issue pulling the shells, I tend to have mine so the lip of the Carthage sits against the edge of the leather for ease. Any wider and the lip sits agains the leather.

Nige

Thanks for all the responses!! It seem right to me, but its what the guy ordered. I going to try to talk him into going a little more narrow.

Artycpt pictures would be greatly appreciated!!

Could you guys add some more detailed pics of how your making the loops exactly.

Here's a test piece that I did when I was deciding which way to go. I ended up going with the one on the right, they end up being spaced a little farther that way but I felt it seemed more secure and it allowed the back side to lay flatter so there wasn't a bulge after I put the liner on. You could also simply stitch it however that is the least secure way and I repaired several of those in my shop where the stitching starts to pull out.

Lace up the loops while its damp so you can pull it pretty tight. I inserted a shell each time I made a loop and kept going.

054C0F8D-3663-4B0F-A0A9-6CC544F95F37-54140-00002FC57D19BF4C.jpg

E3A2F5B9-5CB2-4C34-8520-CFC18303861E-54140-00002FC61D0D65C6.jpg

Most of the ones I make are 2 1/2" wide. Unless your customer has some pretty big shoulders the edge of that bandolier will be up against the neck. Does he have a purpouse for having it 4" wide?

Making the bandolier is pretty straight forward - lay your strip across your shoulder bring it across your chest and back now cross the two ends at your waist at about the heigght that will be correct for the length you want. Mark where the two ends cross. I stitch a diamond were the ends cross (see picture) then trim the excess. The bandolier part is easy. The bullet loops are work and should be done before sewing the bandolier together.

here is another example of shotgun bandoliers. http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=20620&hl=bandolier#entry133265

attatched are some things that will help with the cartridge loops.

20 gauge single loop...1 3/4" on the loop and 7/8" on the slide

20 gauge double loop..2 3/8" on the loop and 1 3/4" on the slide (as shown in picture)

12 gauge sinlge loop....2 1/8" on the loop and 1" on the slide (as shown in picutre)

12 gauge double loop..2 7/8" on the loop and 1 7/8" on the slide

45 Colt....1 3/8" on the loop and 5/8" on the belt

.38/.357..1 1/8" on the loop and 9/16" on the belt

.32 cal. ..1" on the loop and 1/2" on the belt

.500 S&W mag...1 1/2" on the loop and 5/8" on the belt

Hope this helps

post-15001-0-21295200-1359051852_thumb.j

post-15001-0-51379900-1359052107_thumb.j

post-15001-0-71471200-1359052342_thumb.j

post-15001-0-44451400-1359052420_thumb.j

Edited by camano ridge

OK, got it down to 3" wide. Any suggestions to what oz leather to use?