Nandy

Consew 225 Upgrade To Large Bobbin

Seems it is possible but what parts are need to be replaced?

Thanks.

In case it will work you will most likely need a complete new hook saddle an new bobbin case opener and a new hook assembly and maybe some more bits and bites + you have to disassemble parts of your machine or ask a sewing machine mechanic to do that. This will probably cost as much as a used machine with larger bobbin. I also had this idea for my Singer 111 but dropped it very soon.

We used to do a lot of them mainly 226R & Juki 562 that had reverse.We would charge $400.00 for parts & labor.The lower shaft has to be pulled out & take the hook saddle out & then mill it for the larger hook & put it back

together.You also need to change the take-up lever to a longer one.

We used to do a lot of them mainly 226R & Juki 562 that had reverse.We would charge $400.00 for parts & labor.The lower shaft has to be pulled out & take the hook saddle out & then mill it for the larger hook & put it back

And change out the bobbin case opening lever as well, CowboyBob know that for sure as well. Not really worth doing this any more, but like said this was a thing at one point. We've had 111W155 machines with big bobbin like this.

Yup, it dont look useful. I rather just keep looking for an used machine with the larger bobbin. Not that I must get that now, but who knows...

Thanks!

And change out the bobbin case opening lever as well, CowboyBob know that for sure as well. Not really worth doing this any more, but like said this was a thing at one point. We've had 111W155 machines with big bobbin like this.

So does one use the 563 hook, case opener and take up lever for the 111/226/562 conversion? I ask because I have a 563-3, 111g156 and a 226r and would prefer to convert the 226 to a large bobbin.

Machining is not a issue.

Yes, those are the parts you need to change.You could just trade them from your 563 since it doesn't have reverse.You can also use the 563 hook saddle then you don't have to mill it to make it work.

IMHO this is more sewing history than anything; you're really best off finding a new/used machine than converting. After the labor and parts, it's just not worth it, and there is a reason nobody wants to do this kind of job any longer. It would have to be a special machine or circumstance to really want to go ahead and want to do this.

Yes, those are the parts you need to change.You could just trade them from your 563 since it doesn't have reverse.You can also use the 563 hook saddle then you don't have to mill it to make it work.

Great, Thanks for the info.

IMHO this is more sewing history than anything; you're really best off finding a new/used machine than converting. After the labor and parts, it's just not worth it, and there is a reason nobody wants to do this kind of job any longer. It would have to be a special machine or circumstance to really want to go ahead and want to do this.

In my case I only have $310 (total combined) into all three machines, and since swaping parts is free, this will be the low cost option to get the best combination of what I already have.

Great, Thanks for the info.

In my case I only have $310 (total combined) into all three machines, and since swaping parts is free, this will be the low cost option to get the best combination of what I already have.

Works for me, and makes perfect sense here.