LilRay

Best Hand Strap Cutter For Southpaw

OK, I'm gathering my "dream" tool list and my ultimate leather tooling goal is to make instrument straps.(Guitar/Bass etc). To start with, without getting power machinery I'll need a good strap cutter. Trouble is I'm a southpaw.

So, I see what's called "plow" and "draw" gauges. I don't really know the differences between them, except for the basic premise that one is pulled and the other is pushed. So Which is easier to use and more consistant for a southpaw? How about decent brands?

Any help is appreciated.

God Bless, Ray

OK, I'm gathering my "dream" tool list and my ultimate leather tooling goal is to make instrument straps.(Guitar/Bass etc). To start with, without getting power machinery I'll need a good strap cutter. Trouble is I'm a southpaw.

So, I see what's called "plow" and "draw" gauges. I don't really know the differences between them, except for the basic premise that one is pulled and the other is pushed. So Which is easier to use and more consistant for a southpaw? How about decent brands?

Any help is appreciated.

God Bless, Ray

Ray, I use a Craftool strap cutter. I am a lefty as well. It works the same way for lefties except that the measurement markings would be upside down while you are pulling. But it doesn't matter as once you've set the width you want, you won't be looking at them anymore.

I too use the wooden one that Tandy sells (and elsewhere). The only thing I specifically have made for a left is a stitching palm, which I got years back from Hidecrafters.

Ray, I use a Craftool strap cutter. I am a lefty as well. It works the same way for lefties except that the measurement markings would be upside down while you are pulling. But it doesn't matter as once you've set the width you want, you won't be looking at them anymore.

I'm used to stuff being backwards RD.;)

Thanks,

God Bless, Ray

I'm a lefty too and use the wooden Tandy strap cutter. It works well, but get extra blades.

Ray,

The wooden strap cutter is your best bet. The majority use them as a pull trap cutter but some guys turn the blade around and push. I used them for a long time and still do some. I use the disposable single edge razor blades in mine. They stick up a little and I just take a pliers and break them off flush once they are in there. I never could get a good enough grip on the little blades that came with them to feel safe or effective sharpening them. With a new razor blade I can do some good strips with some pretty soft leather. I cut a lot of stirrup leathers with razor blades too, so they have some strength too.

For a lefty I have never seen a left handed plough gauge. I have seen a picture of one left handed Osborne draw gauge that was probably a special order from back in the day. I have not seen them as a catalog option.

Ray,

The wooden strap cutter is your best bet. The majority use them as a pull trap cutter but some guys turn the blade around and push. I used them for a long time and still do some. I use the disposable single edge razor blades in mine. They stick up a little and I just take a pliers and break them off flush once they are in there. I never could get a good enough grip on the little blades that came with them to feel safe or effective sharpening them. With a new razor blade I can do some good strips with some pretty soft leather. I cut a lot of stirrup leathers with razor blades too, so they have some strength too.

For a lefty I have never seen a left handed plough gauge. I have seen a picture of one left handed Osborne draw gauge that was probably a special order from back in the day. I have not seen them as a catalog option.

Thanks Bruce! I didn't know if anyone made plow/draw gauges for lefties or not. I appreciate everything brother.

God Bless, Ray

I've used those wooden strap cutter before but sometimes i found the result can be inconsistent.

I have since used Logan Adapt-a-rule to cut long piece of straight leather. It's made for framer, but it's perfect for us leatherworker. It uses disposable blade and can adjust the depth of the blade.

The aluminium ruler has rubber feet for traction.

The ruler comes in three different sizes, the one i have is 120cm long which is the middle size.

It cost more than the wooden strap cutter but IMO it's the best tool to have if the majority of your work is cutting a straight piece of leather.

You can find some pictures of the said ruler in my Tool Blog.

Hope that helps.

The wooden strap cutter is probably your best bet,I use them left or right as needed with fine results. If you are dead set on wanting a draw gauge Weaver sells thiers in right and left versions.

Jeff

Reza, The adapt a rule looks interesting as a straightedge. I'll see where I might check one out locally.

Jeff, I'm not really set on anything, I'm more trying to educate myself in the craft. I've been at this a whole two months, and there's no one within 100 miles of me to learn from. Being a southpaw is odd, but palsy got my right hand good enough that I don't have precise control with it.

Just tryin' to learn brother.;)

God Bless, Ray