TomBanwell

Tippmann 15 Ton Clicker

I'd like to buy a clicker and am considering the Tippmann 15 ton clicker. Can anyone give me feedback on it? Is it a good tool, or would you recommend a different clicker?

thanks, Tom

Hi Tom,

Ok, it has a couple of problems, none insurmountable.

1. The top platen doesn't move as on hydraulic clickers which swing out of the way for setups. If die placement is critical look to a hydraulic.

2. It uses a LOT of air. I think they sell an air recovery valve for it which you might want if you have a small compressor.

3. They are HEAVY for such a small package; don't even think that less than three hefty dudes are going to move it, it is awkward.

It has good points.

1. It works.

2. You can get an air recovery system for it.

3. It disassembles into not too many heavy parts that makes it possible for one man to move it. A couple of folks bought the 25 ton when they first came out and that was practically the only way to move it, and some of those parts were HEAVY.

Art

I'd like to buy a clicker and am considering the Tippmann 15 ton clicker. Can anyone give me feedback on it? Is it a good tool, or would you recommend a different clicker?

thanks, Tom

I used one nearly every day for about 7 years. Never had a problem with it. Ran it off an upright air compressor, 30 gallon. Never had the air regulator. Cut/clicked out thousands of pieces. As Art mentioned, it's one heavy piece of equipment. We moved ours around, when needed, with an engine lift. Recently sold mine to a holster maker in MO. Would buy another without hesitation.

I was looking at this because it is ideal for home use, and my projects are mostly wallets. Made by an Australian company. Quoted me $1500, not sure if that is in aussie dollars or US.

Still haven't found the funds for it.

I have a compressor with an 80 gal tank, so I assume that is more than enough and don't need the air recovery? I understand that a swing-away head is preferable for aligning the die on the leather. But can I align it fairly well and slide it under the head witlhout the die shifting? I think that is the crux of the matter. The low price, and low weight (compared to a hydraulic) are appealing to me.

Thanks,

If you are talking one or two dies at a time, no problem. You don't have a problem with air. You shouldn't have any problems with it, have fun. They are nice machines, but then Tippmann had always been quality and simplicity.

Art

I have a compressor with an 80 gal tank, so I assume that is more than enough and don't need the air recovery? I understand that a swing-away head is preferable for aligning the die on the leather. But can I align it fairly well and slide it under the head witlhout the die shifting? I think that is the crux of the matter. The low price, and low weight (compared to a hydraulic) are appealing to me.

Thanks,

... But can I align it fairly well and slide it under the head witlhout the die shifting? I think that is the crux of the matter. The low price, and low weight (compared to a hydraulic) are appealing to me.

Thanks,

That's exactly how I did it. I also bought their table/stand when I bought the clicker. I would just slide the "back" of leather with the die on top in between the top and bottom plates, hit the buttons on the side, and then pull the leather/die out after it cut it. It's a very simple, straightforward operation in that respect. I cut anywhere from 3/4 oz to 13/14 oz with it. I also cut/clicked out kydex pieces.

Feel free to call me if you have any questions. You can reach me at our shop: 813 - 659 - 3456 (we're in FL).

Edited by K-Man

look at the exploded view in the parts section on tippmanns web site. very simple design , very little to go wrong. 2 air valves and a quick exhaust valve to release. has a air bladder that inflates instead of a mechanical linkage and air cylinder

Edited by Big G