Sign in to follow this  
Akewstick

Could Anyone Give Me Some Advice On Dyeing A Leather Jacket?

I think this is the right place for this question...

I was about to buy this jacket

http://www.allsaints.com/men/Leathers/allsaints-cargo-biker-leather-jacket/?colour=140&category=9

but I tried it on and it turns out it's much paler than in the pictures, grey and even light grey/white in parts, it's really soft distressed lamb nappa, it's a really lovely soft matt texture and I don't want to ruin it with dye, but I want it black!

I'm imagining something like this

Could anyone tell me, am I going to ruin an expensive jacket by trying to dye it?

Any advice or thoughts would be very appreciated.

I think this is the right place for this question...

I was about to buy this jacket

http://www.allsaints...=140&category=9

but I tried it on and it turns out it's much paler than in the pictures, grey and even light grey/white in parts, it's really soft distressed lamb nappa, it's a really lovely soft matt texture and I don't want to ruin it with dye, but I want it black!

I'm imagining something like this

Could anyone tell me, am I going to ruin an expensive jacket by trying to dye it?

Any advice or thoughts would be very appreciated.

Hi.... from looking at it and considering your description, what you're wanting to do is just plain difficult. It's not that it can't be done (maybe) but for someone that is not extremely knowledgeable about dyes and leather and finishes, you've got a disaster waiting to happen. I'd love to tell you to go for it, but more than likely it's just not going to be a happy thing....

Sorry,

Kevin@springfieldleather.com

Hi.... from looking at it and considering your description, what you're wanting to do is just plain difficult. It's not that it can't be done (maybe) but for someone that is not extremely knowledgeable about dyes and leather and finishes, you've got a disaster waiting to happen. I'd love to tell you to go for it, but more than likely it's just not going to be a happy thing....

Sorry,

Kevin@springfieldleather.com

Thanks for you response. Yeah that's not what I want to hear but obviously it's better than finding out the hard way.

What do you think might go wrong? It'd go shiny or dry out? Or the colour would go patchy and disgusting? Or ...all of the above?

Edit:

Is there anything else you could think of that would darken it at all? Something used to soften or protect it that would also darken it slightly? It doesn't need to be that dramtically different a colour.

Edited by Akewstick

Thanks for you response. Yeah that's not what I want to hear but obviously it's better than finding out the hard way.

What do you think might go wrong? It'd go shiny or dry out? Or the colour would go patchy and disgusting? Or ...all of the above?

Edit:

Is there anything else you could think of that would darken it at all? Something used to soften or protect it that would also darken it slightly? It doesn't need to be that dramtically different a colour.

Hi... first of all, I'm sure that the jacket has some sort of finish on it, and that would have to be removed in order for any dye to actually do a good job of penetrating. In addition, dyes can react with certain finishes to create a bit of a "stickiness" that can occur, if you don't get all the finish off. Especially down in the seams and hard to get at places. And it's quite possible that you'd never get an even color, and there's also the issue of trying to put a sealer over it when you're done. All leathers are different, and can react differently to various situations. Some leathers are incredibly prone to dry out and become boardy if too much of a dye is applied. Some leathers that would not be a problem. With some leathers, removing a finish with acetone can be quite successful, and with others, it's about impossible. Some leathers can be re colored by mixing a bit of dye with a leather conditioner. Some leathers just won't accept it at all. Some leathers will accept dye readily once the finish is removed, and some won't. Anyway, I won't bore you with more "if's and maybe's". You might get away with it, and you might not. I'm just more familiar with the situations that didn't work, I guess. Thanks for asking!

Kevin