eternoui

How Does The Leather Looks?

Hi guys I receive my leather today, double shoulder veg tan of 1mm approximately. This is my first leather and.I would like some comments on it. For some reason i didnt like it. Regards Demetris

MenWLeb.jpg

Edited by eternoui

Might want to be a little more specific about what you didn't like? From that one picture, it looks like standard ole veg tan leather.

Hi there smirac. Sorry for not be specific, its my first piece of leather. I was waiting the outside side to be smoother (as you see the.image i mean the outside).i asked your opinion because i dont know how it should be.

If you mean the edge, that is not uncommon. You are going to cut it off, so not an issue.

Eternoui,

What do you plan on making? That's a good place to start.

You can :

1. Do nothing and leave it as it is.

2. Give it a coat of gum tragacanth or the synthetic japanese stuff (tokunol??). The Japanese stuff is better I think. I have seen people use Tan Kote (Ian Atkinson does that), but I am not sure how good it actually works.

3. Cover it with another piece of leather . A think lining leather like pig might suit your purpose, depending on what that is. If you are making wallets, you could also apply a layer of fabric.

You can also buy more expensive leather from Herman Oak or one of the other high quality leather tanneries. What you have looks like a standard piece of grade c Tandy leather. Very normal in inexpensive leather.

hi there mlapaglia, the problem is not buying a more expensive and high quality leather, the problem is finding a seller that send it to my country and to not charge for shipping twice as the leather.

hi there mlapaglia, the problem is not buying a more expensive and high quality leather, the problem is finding a seller that send it to my country and to not charge for shipping twice as the leather.

Where do you live? Someone here may have an idea on where to get leather that wont cost so much with shipping. But perhaps not. It all depends on where you are. For leather like that where the back side will show I apply gum tragacanth to the back and then use a flat edge to smooth the back side. It works well unless your back side of the leather looks like a shag carpet. Then you might consider sanding the back side first.