Hey guys so I'm going to try my hand at a holster for my pop. He has a S&W Sigma 40V which is equivalent to a Glock 19. What's a good leather thickness I should use for this? Is there a forum topic on wet forming a leather holster or do you guys have a better way of forming? Any help is greatly appreciated!

I kaint spell sigma, but there's a pattern for the G19 and instructions to make it over here.

Wet forming is simple enough --- dunk the thing in a bowl of warm water, put the pistol in a sandwich bag (or similar - don't matter) and shove it in the hole.

Some folks use a vacuum seal system, some use a press, but if you're just making one or a few I'd recommend just shaping a bit with modeling tools. Tool handles. Bone folder. Chunk of aluminum or stainless without sharp edges. Basically, anything without hard corners that isn't mild steel (steel and wet leather is a bad combo).

I just had a workshop on holster making yesterday and we were told that for a good holster you need to use 7/8 0z. leather

I just had a workshop on holster making yesterday and we were told that for a good holster you need to use 7/8 0z. leather

Don't carve that in stone. It matters what KIND of holster you're making (though, I DO prefer 7/8 for a basic OWB). I've made them using anywhere from 6 to 10 (or so).

I'm using 6-7oz.

I think molding one by hand is over half the fun of making a holster.

IWB for a Sigma I'd use 8-9. It's sturdy and I have a lot of it. :) For OWB Id use 7-8 or 8-9 depending on style and leather stock.

I use 8-9 outer and a 5-6 liner for SASS holsters and gun belts.