Wizcrafts

Wanted: Used, But Excellent Working Condition, Hand Cranked Splitter

I am looking for a used, but fully functional, hand cranked leather splitter, with a minimum 8" wide blade. It should be capable of splitting leather ranging from 6 ounces to 16 ounces. I would be bolting it onto a table top. A typical use I would have is splitting 10-12 ounce bridle leather down to exactly 8 ounces, for double leather belts.

Let me know the details and asking price, via a PM. Photos will help me choose.

I am aware that new splitters are available. They are way beyond my current economic situation. Thus, I'm shopping second hand.

So you double up 8 oz leather for a 16 oz belt? Phew that's heavy duty.

So you double up 8 oz leather for a 16 oz belt? Phew that's heavy duty.

I just finished one this week that is 5/16" thick in some areas and is size 54, middle hole. My pull skiver just isn't accurate enough to get a perfectly even skive over the entire length of a 5 foot long strap. Our bridle leather comes in at 10-12 ounces and even hits 13 ounces along the rear of the backbone. The soft neck and shoulder end always skives less reliably than the butt in a pull skiver. It also tends to stretch out a bit, making aligning double leather belts a pain in the ass.

Yeah that's a hefty belt. If I'm doubling the belt I always cut one strip slightly bigger than the other to help with lining everything up. Then you can just trim it all perfectly even.

I know it adds some waste but for me it's way more accurate. I have a feeling without the fudge room I'd be messing up a bunch of belts.

Wiz, contact Bruce Johnson, he is a skiver nut, and may be able to put you on to one. I bought mine off of ebay for $300 and of course had to go over it to get it working correctly. Bruce helped me with that. I wouldn't be without it .

Bob

Hey Bob, how's it going?

I actually bought a Fortuna skiver from Bruce last year.

What I'm looking for isn't a skiver, but a splitter.

Hi Wiz. The splitter I bought is a 6" one. Would love to have a 14" one, but; like you it is not in the budget. Maybe some day. I will keep a look out for one, if I find one, I will let you know. I sometimes find stuff at farm auctions, you just never know what you will find at one of those. PM me your phone number, if I run across one I'll give you call.

Bob