Patrice

2 Worns Saddles I Would Like To Restore.

After 9 years of doing leathercraft, i've decided to try my hand to restore saddle.

I juste bought 2 saddles. One is of poor craftanship. You can tell by the screw showing under the frame and by the use of electric tape to get in place the fender arround the stirrups.

The other is less in bad shape that the first one.

Anyway, i paid 80$ for 2.

I will be buying the Stohlman saddle encyclopedia as well as the two patterns provided by the leathercraft library.

But, i would like to know if there's some dvd available for sale?

I would like to restore them as a hobby.

You can have a look at them by the pictures join with this post.

I'm gladly taking all advices as it is my first try at saddle repair.

Many thank's.

post-573-0-01059900-1408063708_thumb.jpgpost-573-0-42085600-1408063726_thumb.jpgpost-573-0-07263100-1408063741_thumb.jpg

Let me jump in and tag this so I can get the information too, . . . between us we have 4 saddles needing some serious help.

May God bless,

Dwight

Hoping not to sound rude, but in all honesty, I wouldn't waste my time on the saddles pictured. If you're going to go the trouble of restoring something, put your time and money into something that'll be worth something when you're done. Nothing you do to either one of these will make them worth a dime more.

As far as resources, go through all the old threads in the saddle section of this forum, and the Stohlman books will certainly be helpful as well. Ask questions here as they present themselves to you. There is nothing in the way of printed material or DVDs that will replace actual experience gained from hands-on. If you can find an experienced saddlemaker willing to teach you, pay him to do so, or take a saddle-making course. I have no recommendations on the saddlemaking schools or courses, because I have never attended one, but if I had it to do over again, I would. Instead of spending 30 plus years to get where I am today (and who knows where that is) I would have drastically shortened the learning curve. You probably are thinking that you don't want to spend the amount of money that would be required for tuition on learning to do something that would be a hobby, but it is my opinion that saddle repair done CORRECTLY and saddlemaking is a comprehensive enough subject that a couple books and videos aren't anywhere near enough to teach you what you need to know. It's not rocket science, but there's a whole lot to learn. Best of luck to you.

I have to agree that restoring these saddles won't be much of a learning experience, except in what not to do when building a saddle. The materials needed to restore these saddles will be more than the saddles will ever be worth. I took an old saddle apart once to use as a demonstration saddle to show people the different components of a saddle. I found that it had a plastic seat strainer, and that the swell was broken prior to being covered at the factory. So they just nailed the broken swell back together. It was a good example of what not to buy when purchasing a saddle.

If you have friends with horses, offer to clean their saddles for them. This will give you an opportunity to work on different saddles, and see how they are built and what went into their construction.

Ron

Good advice from Big Sioux and Ron.

The first Stohlman book is all you'll need for a while if funds are tight you could just get it and get familiar with how saddles work and how they're put together. Your plan of fixing on old saddle up isn't at all bad but the saddles you picked up aren't the ones you want to do it with IMO.

Good luck, Josh

First of all, i would like to thank you.

I live in Québec, Canada. I already try to contact some rare people who repair saddles, but no one ever wanted to teach me, even if i offer to pay them.

Even if the material wil be more costly than rebuilding those 2 saddles, i think it wil worht the effort. I will take this for a hobby, as i always did.

The problem here in Québec, is that most folks here tend to judge people who like the amrican way of life, including horseback riding.

Being able to travel in Alberta, you can bet you hard earn money that i will already be there attending sadlle making classes.

As for now, i will be pilling up my money so i can go west to learn from a true sadlle maker in Canada.

I'm just a iitle bit upset against my own kind here in Québec ;-)

Once again, thank's for everything.

If you are just trying to use what you have, to learn, then I say go ahead. Take the saddles apart.

Look at how the leather is worn and try and imagine how it looked new.

You will end up spending money no matter what you do to learn saddle building.

These saddles may not be worth anything dollar wise, as a restored saddle, but they may be worth a fortune in the experience you gain learning how and why they are built as they are.

Joel

The trouble with learning on a cheap saddle, is the only thing you learn is how to build a cheap saddle. Now, if you have a good saddle, and understand what goes into a good saddle in way of construction to aid function and safety, you can learn what NOT to do by working on the cheap saddles. A good part of building saddles is understanding the hows and whys of function. If one bases their entire saddle education on construction methods used in cheap saddles, then that's all that person will know. Cheap saddles can teach you something, but you better know the difference.

The truth as to what to do with these saddles and what to do in general to learn how to repair and make saddles, is probably somewhere in between all the posts here. They all have merit and you can't go wrong following them. Before I spent hard earned dollars, I would suggest that you thoroughly peruse the many various threads on this web sight. There are many hours of good advice and excellent instruction by some of the best saddle makers in the country , Keith Seidel, and Troy West just to name a few. There are a lot of posts asking questions from beginners to experienced . Not knowing your level of ability in working with your hands, the best advice I can give is to look at all these posts and make sure you know what you are getting into. Like Big Sioux, I spent many years learning on my own. Great trip, but; you will better served taking advantage of the wealth on knowledge here in this websight.

Bob

Once again, thank you all for your advices. I have been informed that a harness maker in my area will retires next year. I asked him about taking course from him, and he told me he would think about it.

Until then, i'm on my own.

I have dissambled the brown saddle yesterday and cleaned all parts.
post-573-0-54172700-1408463767_thumb.jpg

From what i have seen, il will have to do :

1- the leather of the gullet.
post-573-0-70434700-1408463560_thumb.jpg

2- replace the buckles by Blevins buckles.
post-573-0-13116800-1408463583_thumb.jpg

3- solidify the cantle as it's maintained in place by clinch nail's.
post-573-0-45936300-1408464069_thumb.jpg

4- Re do the under-side with sheep wool padding.
post-573-0-67296000-1408463604_thumb.jpg

Oh, an both D-ring on both side ofthe sddle are held in place by 2 screws and blts and clinch nails.
post-573-0-18698100-1408463574_thumb.jpg]

But, i will try to restore this saddle for fun and hobby. The saddle tree is made of fiber glass. Is in good condition and not broken.

I will be posting update once in a while as im back to work.

Have a nice day!

Edited by Patrice

Also, all of you told me to buy good used saddles.

As i'm eager to learn, what is a good saddle and what is a bad saddle? I understand that my 2 saddles are junk and i assure you, i take no offense at all.

Do you have example or saddle brands to start off?

Thank's.

Patrice,

To get an idea what a good used saddle is you might want to visit www.ranchworldads.com and go the saddle for sale side.

Lots of good used saddles. Hope it helps. I wish you success on your journey.

Many thanks Tosch.

I have Jeremiah Watt's, The Art of Saddle Making DVD's if you are interested? They are brilliant :thumbsup: