Sign in to follow this  
gunfighter48

What machine is right for me?

I am doing belts and will be doing concealed carry holsters. I need to get a machine and have a buget limit of about $1,400. What machine, if any, will work for these projects and stay around my budget? I have looked at so many machines my head is spinning. Is the Ferdco 440R a decent machine for this application, it's in my price range. I have also talked to Neels Saddlery about their Model 5 machine; anybody using one of those?

Thanks for your help.

Edited by gunfighter48

I compared machines before making a purchase, and considered the 440R. The 440R is not a walking foot machine, and I didn't want a bottom feed or jump foot only. Your leather will feed more smoothly and evenly with a walking foot, a big thing to consider. For a little more money I went with the the Artisan 3000. It is truely a great machine to work with. I would recommend the Artisan. Good luck !

Tim

I have the Neel's Model 5. It sews anything I throw at it. If you have the money, go for a compound feed machine. The Model 5 is only a lower feed machine. Same with the Ferdco 440 and 440R. There's something special about the Model 5,though. It's a little work horse that wants to sew everything.

I may be looking to sell my Model 5 to save space in my apartment and get a portable walking foot machine. Right now, I'm using the Model 5 for light suede and denim work and my Juki 441 clone for all my heavy leather stitching.

Hi Gun,

Belts are one thing, and holsters are a completely different matter. You really do need a cylinder arm to do them well and comfortably, not saying you can't do them with a flat bed, the cylinder arm is just easier.

Now $1,400 is a little thin for a new machine given the beating we have been taking on exchange rates, and if this is your first machine, new is probably the way to go. You can find something used out there like maybe a Singer 153 class, but if you have problems, you will be pretty much on your own. The Artisan 3000 as mentioned before is a great machine from a great company, but is hovering around the $2000 mark now, and if $1400 is all you got, see if they will take that and finance the rest, $50 a month for a year or whatever they can do. Your production will improve enough to handle that especially if you do a lot of lined belts. The next big show is boots and saddles at Wichita Falls in October and I guess a lot of the machine companies will be there, and I am pretty sure Steve will be at IFoLG in Ft. Worth a week later. If you really want a machine, they are out there.

Art

I am doing belts and will be doing concealed carry holsters. I need to get a machine and have a buget limit of about $1,400. What machine, if any, will work for these projects and stay around my budget? I have looked at so many machines my head is spinning. Is the Ferdco 440R a decent machine for this application, it's in my price range. I have also talked to Neels Saddlery about their Model 5 machine; anybody using one of those?

Thanks for your help.