biker55

Lacing Punch Size

Hello all, when lacing, do you go up to the next larger size punch than the lace that you're using, or do you use the same size punch as the lace? thanks

I use the same size punch for the lace I'm using. For 1/8 inch wide lace I use the 1/8 inch wide slit lacing punch. However, there are some very good leather workers who use the next size SMALLER for their lacing. For example, they use 3/32 for their 1/8 inch lace. They say the lacing looks tighter and more professional.

For the lacing punches (Slits), I definitely wouldn't go bigger, nothing wrong with same size, but using the 3/32" punches on 1/8" lacing does give you a tighter stitch becuase not only is it slightly smaller, it is also space more closely together. Your choice, but like I said, I wouldn't use a punch that is larger than the lace I'm using. Just my $.02 worth.

Chief

thanks for the responeses. will try again. I'm having a little trouble in trying to thread the needle and lace through the opening. I'm using the needle with the two little prongs that holds the lace in place. it doesn't want to go thru.

thanks for the responeses. will try again. I'm having a little trouble in trying to thread the needle and lace through the opening. I'm using the needle with the two little prongs that holds the lace in place. it doesn't want to go thru.

You are skiving the end of the lace that fits in the needle aren't you?

Set aside the needle for a minute. Cut an angle on the lace and give it a try with no needle.

Put the lace on the needle. Trim off the lace that is wider than the needle. I hate the needles you are using though. I use the ones with a hole and one pin to hold the lace. This style is easily ten times stronger holding the lace. Get one of each, try to pull the needle off, you will never go back.

I always use 1/8 lace and 3/32 slits. I want the lace to not have any excess gaposis.

post-2349-0-85948700-1415844207_thumb.jp

Put the lace on the needle. Trim off the lace that is wider than the needle. I hate the needles you are using though. I use the ones with a hole and one pin to hold the lace. This style is easily ten times stronger holding the lace. Get one of each, try to pull the needle off, you will never go back.

I always use 1/8 lace and 3/32 slits. I want the lace to not have any excess gaposis.

Sorry for barging in here. My apologies. but, that looks great! nice and tight lacing job. So do you use anything on the lace to make it 'go' easier?

I use the same kind of needle you do and there are a couple of things you can do when this happens. First, as the others said, make sure you taper the end of the lace so none of it is sticking out the sides of the needle where the two prongs grab it. Second, skive the end of the lace a bit where the needle grabs it, but don't make it too thin. One of main culprits for this problem I have found is having the lace too thin and ending up with the two prongs sticking up above the surface of the leather and needle. The prongs will grab the leather every time you try to pull it through. Finally, get yourself a lacing fid. It's basically just a flat metal spike and you insert it into the lacing slit to temporarily open it up more when you are inserting the lace. I just push it in to open the hole a bit, remove it and then thread the lace through.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Sorry for barging in here. My apologies. but, that looks great! nice and tight lacing job. So do you use anything on the lace to make it 'go' easier?

I use a product called Saddle Butter made by Ray Holes. It's more to condition the lace than anything and it helps keep it from fraying as I pull it though the holes so I think it is probably helping grease the holes a bit, but my main tool for getting the lace through a small hole is the lacing fid.

I use either paraffin or saddle soap. Usually paraffin. Anything what lubes/conditions the lace will work. You do not want friction wearing the lace as you pull it through. I often have to pull the needle with pliers since my holes are smaller than the needle/lace. The trick to nice looking lace is to crowd it in, and consistency.

thanks all, guess a lacing fid will be ordered soon.

Sorry for this being off topic, but...

Electrathon, what matting tool did you use for that background? That is an awesome texture.

Thanks,

-Aaron

Sorry for this being off topic, but...

Electrathon, what matting tool did you use for that background? That is an awesome texture.

Thanks,

-Aaron

Bob Beard "can" tool. One of my favorite tools now.

Bob Beard "can" tool. One of my favorite tools now.

Thanks!

-Aaron

thanks for all the replies. I just received a single 1/8 chisel and the lacing is going through easier, but sometimes my holes aren't evenly spaced and the alighment is sometimes off of the scoured line. is there a trick to this? or just more practice? thanks again for the tips.

I use punches with 4 or 8 punches. Overlap 1 or 2 slits and go from there.

Great looking wallet !!!, Is that a double loop spanish braid on the edges, or the mexican braid ???