cleanview

First Builds Using The New Machine

Here are a few pics of the first things I have sewn on the new cowboy 3200.

Feel free to point out anything good or bad you see, especially in relation to sewing.

I will post the pics in order that I did them. So hopefully mistakes in the first pic don't carry over to the next and so forth.

post-23581-0-00624600-1416657528_thumb.jpost-23581-0-00716400-1416657544_thumb.jpost-23581-0-52085000-1416657615_thumb.jpost-23581-0-43831000-1416657626_thumb.jpost-23581-0-09632800-1416657558_thumb.jpost-23581-0-62870000-1416657567_thumb.jpost-23581-0-70936600-1416657585_thumb.j

and one more that would not fit post-23581-0-56267600-1416657761_thumb.jpost-23581-0-22988500-1416657772_thumb.jpost-23581-0-78084400-1416657784_thumb.j

The first is my first cowboy belt and is for my daily use as a work belt. I really don't understand why it is so comfortable, but it sure is.

Next I did a wingman that had been waiting to to be sewn since I ordered the machine.

Next was my first thumb break. The colors got away from me but the customer loved it, so I sealed it and he will be happy. I obviously put my makers mark in the wrong area not thinking.

Then a simple cowboy holster which was different since it was the first attempt when the start and stop was not at the same place.

woops.......2 fronts and no back

post-23581-0-69601200-1416658239_thumb.j

Two things I notice: Needle too big for thread used making the holes too large. Increase the stitch length a bit. Having large holes and short stitch length makes the piece weaker on the edges.

You done well for first time with the stitcher.

ferg

thanks. I just took the dealers suggestion of a 25 needle but think someone posted to try a 24 needle. i am going to get one locally and see if that helps. Most charts do say a 25 needle for a 277 thread but I have had some mention to try a 24. I increased the stitch but guess I will take it up to a 5 per inch and see if that works better.

Thanks.

post-23581-0-17876100-1416710446_thumb.jpost-23581-0-64621000-1416710465_thumb.j

Well I had some 23 needles and this is what a test turned out like.

Have not changed stitches per inch. Was just curious.

I think they look better but is this needle to small for any reason?

Are the back stitches to loose?

The stupid machine is still dripping oil. I will be glad when the quart they put in finally quits dripping. I wiped it all off before I started. On a project I have to keep stopping and use a q tip to sop it up. Ridiculous!

A quart of oil in a 3200?! Surely you jest. When you get ready to clean and oil again (12 sewing hours) they suggest three drops in a number of holes.

The stitches do not appear to be tight. That makes the thread look awkward. And the hole you are making looks awfully big. Still. I use 277 top and 207 bottom (Cobra 4).

Give Cowboy Bob a holler.

post-36503-0-23430400-1416713751_thumb.j

I'm with Ferg.. too many stitches / inch. About 5 - 6 is fine.. not much finer than that, especially with a needle that size. I use a 24 mostly (#23 for 207 thread).

are yall talking about the original pics or the reply where I pictured some stitches with a 23 needle?

I am not sure if the post has been read in entirety. The first pic of the belt has stitches at 6 per inch and the pictures are in processional order. By the last pic the stitches are 5 per inch.

A few posts down I posted an example of stitching with a 23 needle.

I did not oil the machine, it is only one of the problems I have with the way it was shipped to me. I realize the high opinion of bob kovar but It was apparent there were several errors is the setup of the machine and errors in order with no offer to remedy the errors......I have not nor will I give all the details in order to bad mouth some one.....just wont recommend or order anything else. nuff said.

6/inch should be fine. But either that first picture is SERIOUSLY misleading somehow, or yer measurin' stick is broke :) That LOOKS much smaller than a six. Keep in mind the type of needle can make it appear a bit different.

Here's a pic, jus a piece o' scrap.. showing 6/inch. The natural thread is a needle with an LL point. The black thread is done with an 'LR' needle, WITHOUT changing the stitch length.

Stick a ruler next to it, and get right at 6 / inch.

post-13153-0-60029300-1416752564_thumb.j

Well......I was about to argue......then I reminded myself that I am asking questions because yall no more. The last picture of the lighter color thumb break holster.....I would have sworn I had it set at 5 per inch..................foot in mouth.....swallow my pride........heck I was wrong.........

Sure enough. I COULD HAVE SWORN I CHANGED THAT....... well Back to the begining aagain....thanks for your patience

One of my frustrations has been it took me much trial and error to realize that some things were "free floating" or not tightened down and moving and getting worse each time I used it. In a frustrated state, I guess when I tightened several nuts I messed up my adjustments.

learning as we go

Just like you set tensions, and check before you stick it in the high-dollar stuff.. don't hurt to throw a ruler on it if you've been moving things.

This is purdy durn close ta 6/inch. You can see that the stitch line turns at 1 1/2", three more stitches (3 per 1/2") so it's consistent.

Oh, that's 277 thread with a 24 needle.

6/inch should be fine. But either that first picture is SERIOUSLY misleading somehow, or yer measurin' stick is broke :) That LOOKS much smaller than a six. Keep in mind the type of needle can make it appear a bit different.

Here's a pic, jus a piece o' scrap.. showing 6/inch. The natural thread is a needle with an LL point. The black thread is done with an 'LR' needle, WITHOUT changing the stitch length.

Stick a ruler next to it, and get right at 6 / inch.

attachicon.gifDSC00448.jpg

JLS, can I ask where you've found needles with different points? I've been looking for LR point needles online with no luck... All I can find are S points.

BHP, the picture shown and all my leather products have been sewn with an "S" needle.

http://www.schmetzneedles.com/learning/pdf/leather-needles.pdf

http://www.thethreadexchange.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=nylon-thread

Edited by Red Cent

I have a few comments:

First of all, no one at Toledo Industrial put a quart of oil into your machine. I believe that may be your frustration talking.

Also, If you are getting less than top notch service from Bob and/or Bobby, there is more to this story than you are telling.

Did you say you had loosened some fasteners? Obviously you did not know what you were doing and may indicate somewhat, why you think you aren't getting service from Bob.

If I am completely wrong, I will be the first to say I am sorry. Sit back and take a deep breath and ask Bob for help in the manner you should.

ferg

I have a few comments:

First of all, no one at Toledo Industrial put a quart of oil into your machine. I believe that may be your frustration talking.

Now ...ask yourself .......Would anyone actually think there was a quart of oil inside? Think about it????? It is a comment to say that there is excessive oil.............the which Bob said was possible to have happened.

Also, If you are getting less than top notch service from Bob and/or Bobby, there is more to this story than you are telling.

YOU dont know ONE deatil. 100 PERCENT ASSUMING threres now way that what I said was a genuine experience

Did you say you had loosened some fasteners? Obviously you did not know what you were doing and may indicate somewhat, why you think you aren't getting service from Bob.

Nowhere was that said....read it and see no where. so obviously if there was a problem it is AUTOMATICALLY assumed WITHOUT KNOWING ONE DETAIL

If I am completely wrong, I will be the first to say I am sorry. Sit back and take a deep breath and ask Bob for help in the manner you should.

AGAIN assuming I need to take a deep breath.....ASSUMING things and NEVER ONCE considering that what I said might be valid.

ferg

So is sewing 277 thread with a 24 needle going to have any bad effects??

Doesn't seem to. I'm not the only one doing it, either. I could steer you to one guy's website of very nice looking holsters - who uses 277 with 24's - but I'll let him pipe in if he cares to.

JLS, can I ask where you've found needles with different points? I've been looking for LR point needles online with no luck... All I can find are S points.

That's a good question. I was thinking I got these from Bob (toledo) but not on the receipt. Maybe some that she ordered.. we'll find out together!

I've ordered different needles from the Leather Machine Co, but had to call. Try to give them first crack at things.

I sew primarily with 277 or 306 and a 23/24/25 needle, mostly 24. After you run the machine for a while you will notice small differences with each but right now you need to get the bulk set before you really dial in and fine tune it.

I've got no real complaints with S point needles -- they give a nice, clean stitch -- I just really miss that zig-zag pattern that I used to get with a diamond-blade awl when hand stitching. I'd really like to give either LR or VR point needles a try. It's purely a question of aesthetics and personal whimsy. :)

That's a good question. I was thinking I got these from Bob (toledo) but not on the receipt. Maybe some that she ordered.. we'll find out together!

Thanks -- I'd love to know if you can find out. ;)

Uhh.. not sure what I did, but .. you're welcome :)

Answering the question about 24 needles. BUT I just noticede I asked about 24 needles when I meant to ask about 23 needles with 277 thread.

I had a 25 needle and several said the hole was to big. So the only size smaller I had was 23. I had asked if there was a problem using a 23.

Aint never tried that one, though I guess I could. The 24's worked so well I didn't try anything else :whistle: