DavidL

Leathe Pores Expand And Close?

Is there a vast difference when dying leather in 0 degree weather vs 100 degree weather. Do the pore of the hide open or close even after its been tanned do you think?

Yes. The pores are sweating in the summer heat and the goose bumps get in the way in the winter. ;-)

In one word, . . . no !

May God bless,

Dwight

It does not get that cold around here. But if there is an extended time of sub freezing temps, I bring some of my liquids inside. Might be worth bringing the leather and dye up to inside temps before dying. Pores open and close, doubt it. But physics is physics and everything expands and contracts with the temp and humidity. I could see some issues with extreme temps, even if it's a combination of leather and dye problems.

Im stumped in why drum tanning penetrates even more than surface dyeing like we do. I was thinking that in drum dyeing the liquid is hot and it penetrates deeper because the pores open when hot water touches it.

So, what causes the drum dyeing to have such a permanent and deep dyeing.

Is the leather untanned at this stage and the dye and vegetable tanning solution is mixed together?

I think it's because drum dyeing doesn't use ONLY dye, or at least not the same dye formula that we use. It also uses some oils which may carry the pigment further due to wicking between the fibers. Then there's the shear amount of dye/mix involved, so total saturation is possible. I'm pretty sure the hides don't just sit there; they're turned in the drum, so there is flexing of the fibers in the hide.

Next up is the humidity factor. At zero degrees (F) there's very little humidity in the air, so any leather exposed may simply not have as much moisture in it to keep the fibers expanded.

Interesting question!