Sign in to follow this  
8thsinner

Question For You Horse Guys

I was looking around tonight trying to find out if anyone makes kangaroo lariats or reatas and I came across to me an unusual design what was termed as a half and half reata

around about 85 feet in length half of it was a four strand and the other half was an 8 strand and it looked to me like the 8 was cut from the two strand.

So I am wondering which way round this was used and why some would choose this over just a regular reata.

Im not really sure about this because the last place I saw talked about the 8 plait end being the end towards the honda and then turned around and said it was the other half. The only explanation I can give from growing up roping (not with a reata though) is that having 8 strands (as long as the finished product was the same size throughout and the strands were just split in half) at the half towards the loop would give your loop some more feel and more finesse. This would mainly be due to the braids being smaller and closer together, therefore more places to bend. Where as having the 8 strand half at the other end would maybe give you more feel and control in your dally. Controlling your reata in the dally is really important as you want the reata to slip a good bit (but not uncontrollably) as you dont actually jerk cattle down with a reata, rather you gradually decrease their forward movement. Also one reason why you dont want to use a reata with a saddle that has rubber on the horn and why Wade saddles have such a large horn (makes it easier to control your dally).

As far as braiding one out of kangaroo, Im not sure how well this would work, just due to the fact that it seems kangaroo leather is not nearly as abrasion resistant as rawhide and you would need to be able to slide your dally around the horn, as well as what would be happening to the strands at your loop when heeling something and dragging it around through brush.

Again this is all speculation as I have never actually swung a reata

Tanks for the explanation, that does kinda make sense.

As for a roo version, It is not my intent to use it for roping, well not cattle roping anyway.

In the February issue of Western Horseman magazine there was an article that mentioned that the gaucho used a reata like that and their reasoning for it was that the rope would tend to break in so many feet from the Hondo so that distance (can't remember it) was four plait and replace able. Then further back their was more strands in the braid.

In the February issue of Western Horseman magazine there was an article that mentioned that the gaucho used a reata like that and their reasoning for it was that the rope would tend to break in so many feet from the Hondo so that distance (can't remember it) was four plait and replace able. Then further back their was more strands in the braid.

I was mistaken it is on the Western Horseman website and the most strands are towards the loop. http://www.westernhorseman.com/index.php/gear-guide/article/493-la-pialada.html

Thanks for sharing the link, checking it out now