Davy

Embossing software

Is there a way to get the image of a heap of stamps onto some programme then be able to move them around , locate them , then if need be , space and repeat each stamp for say a belt pattern . Circular patterns or straight patterns like the ones i posted in "stamping examples 2". Also Have variations to allow for angle of stamp , depth of imprint . I know that it could be done , well i'm guessing it can . the question is how difficult would it be and how much would it cost ? The reason I ask is because i'm lazy and sometimes my head hurts when i have to stare at a piece of leather for ages waiting for the next combo in a pattern to pop into my skull . I'm sure a well designed piece of software would help stop my brain strain !!!! Cheers, Dave

Davy I think you could do this fairly easily with just a graphics program. You'd need to scan in each type of impression, save each image with a name (like the stamp #) and adjust the transparancy of the image to allow overlapping. Then, create a library of images, perhaps a 'pallet' of each where you could just click the image and drag to the target location. I'm not preficient with photoshop so I can't speak for it, but GIMP (and successors) allows the user to work in layers. I'm thinking multiple layers of images overlapping would give you a good idea of what your multi-stamp designs would look like before landing on leather. It'd also give you a nice way to organize the order of the stamping.

Someone here had this idea a while back and I believe posted their work. They did up on the computer a pile of impressions from the "common" stamps which, if my faulty memory serves me, could be used like Davy envisions. Anyone else remember this and where it might be, or did I just dream it up?

Davy, Are you telling me you don't have ANY scrap leather to practise on and play with? Get round here and teach me how to cut out stuff right now - I need you!!!

Choice bro ! ( Kiwi expression) Now we're getting somewhere . Sounds good what you're suggesting although how would we go with different parts of an individual stamp , for example an N720 craftool . i dont think i have ever used that stamp as a full image , i use top or bottom (see sample)leather_plaque_038a.jpg . The question is can an individual stamp be made to imprint more on one edge than the other , deeper etc . i dont know if the 2D image would work as well as in 3D . Whadaya reckon ? also there are images of stamps in online stamp catalogues although scale could be another problem as all of my tools fit together in ways that I know , any small variation in size would alter the fit of certain tools and make some combos that i'm used to now impossible to recreate , or have i got it all completly wrong , after all i did just wake up ! Thanks UK Ray you're a #&$%# Legend . Cheers Dave ! PS excuse the rough stamping , Did it quick in dim light !

post-7378-1223770536_thumb.jpg

damm , that was Twin oaks who's the alleged Legend . Sorry bout that , thanks twin ! You too ray and Denise

:wtf:

I've been called many things before, and not all of them flattering! But I've never, never, never, ever been called a Legend.

(is being called a Legend good or bad------I'm not well versed in speaking upside down Aussie.)

As far as showing only half a stamp.....well, you have to make the impression on some leather before you scan it....so I'd say make a scan of 5 impressions of each stamp (that's starting to sound like work isn't it). Full impression, then top, bottom, left, and right. Either that, or when you add the image in the layer, just use the eraser tool in the graphics prog. to remove what you won't be using.....naw, that's too simple. Do it the first way to have the image of what you'd put on leather.

Mike

PS I know you asked about software that could do this, but have you considered just scanning the impressions and printing them on transparancies to lay on the leather?

Edited by TwinOaks

This isn't the thread I was thinking of. That one might have been "misplaced" in the crash of January 08 (there's still hope the old post will come back though!). But this one might help. Thanks to Bob for posting it for us.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?s...pic=221&hl=

Davy I think you could do this fairly easily with just a graphics program. You'd need to scan in each type of impression, save each image with a name (like the stamp #) and adjust the transparancy of the image to allow overlapping. Then, create a library of images, perhaps a 'pallet' of each where you could just click the image and drag to the target location. I'm not preficient with photoshop so I can't speak for it, but GIMP (and successors) allows the user to work in layers. I'm thinking multiple layers of images overlapping would give you a good idea of what your multi-stamp designs would look like before landing on leather. It'd also give you a nice way to organize the order of the stamping.

You can actually create "stamps" in Photoshop Elements to overlay on graphic images -- perfect application for this.

damm , that was Twin oaks who's the alleged Legend . Sorry bout that , thanks twin ! You too ray and Denise

Now you've hurt my feelings, Davy... one minute I'm a legend and now I'm not.

Have you any idea what stuff like that that can do a guy? ROFL!!!!

:oops: Sorry digger , here ya go i've just reinstated you legend status . :notworthy:

There is a program that can do it with depth it's called Zbrush you can check it out here www.pixologic.com it's not cheap but they have a demo version. I bought it when I was I doing 3D graphics work it's more for character creation for movies and games but it will do mostly what you want. I wouldn't recommend it if you haven't used some sort of graphics program before though as the learning curve is a bit high for those interested in giving it a try I recommend watching the videos on their site, checking out their wiki and for those super interested, buying a couple of books from amazon and checking out the intro videos from The Gnomon Workshop and Digital Tutors (more for those interested in doing colour mock ups which it can also do). For doing leatherwork patterns you specifically want to look up Alphas and Stencils on their wiki page.

I remember a thread where a fellow from China posted a series of stamps in Corel Draw and later Illustrator format that you could use in graphics programs. I got the Illustrator ones and converted them to PSD to use in ZBrush (I only did the ones that I have actual physical stamps for though).

If I've got time and if anyone is interested I'll try and post some psuedo ZBrush leatherwork in the next few days I have had all my stuff packed up for a house move so are a bit rusty in the ZBrush department but I should be able to get some example pics up.

Cheers,

Clair

Edited by cem

thanks Clair , it sounds like thats just what the doctor ordered . Sounds a bit scary though , Normally i need things that are pretty well idiot proof , but , being the adventurous type , I'll give it a go if it looks like it'll do the job . Alphas , stencils , wiki page ? I like to create my own patterns and the reason I'm after something like this is to be able to see the finished pattern before i start banging away on a lump of leather . sometimes i might spend 3 or 4 hours on a circular pattern , get almost to the end , and something i visualised in my head just does'nt look how i wanted on the pattern , and i hate finishing something i'm not happy with . And , it's not like i can unstamp it .

Thanks again , cheers , Dave .