Sign in to follow this  
Glendon

Leather For Outdoor Bags

Hi all,

I am starting on a project for a friend, a wheelchair backpack. Right now I'm trying to decide what type of leather to use. This thing is going to get abused. I know it. Outside contently. Going though the rain with little to no protection. So I am thinking something like bridle, latigo, or maybe oil tan. I haven't seen any of those tanning's in person before so I'm not sure. I know of the three latigo is the more stretchy leather, but that's about it. Anyone have a suggestion? Besides just buying a cheap over priced plastic thing which was actually one of her doctor's suggestions.

I just got a side of "show harness" from http://www.wickett-craig.com/. It is made for outside applications. I cut off a small piece and held it under the faucet and the water ran right off. Their "work harness" has more oil it I believe. Call them and they can hook you up.

Call Horween Leather in Chicago. They have what they call water proof leather and in different colors and probably in different thicknesses. Sorry I dont have their info with me. Frank

Hi all,

I am starting on a project for a friend, a wheelchair backpack. Right now I'm trying to decide what type of leather to use. This thing is going to get abused. I know it. Outside contently. Going though the rain with little to no protection. So I am thinking something like bridle, latigo, or maybe oil tan. I haven't seen any of those tanning's in person before so I'm not sure. I know of the three latigo is the more stretchy leather, but that's about it. Anyone have a suggestion? Besides just buying a cheap over priced plastic thing which was actually one of her doctor's suggestions.

Hello friends,

I would like to say, Perhaps the most versatile type of leather is Vegetable Tanned leather. Oak tree bark and other plants contain natural tannins that are used to make Vegetable (or Vege-Tanned) leather. The benefits of this type are that Vege-Tanned leather stretches well when soaked in water and it can be carved, molded, painted, dyed, oiled or waxed. This proves to be extremely useful in making leather furniture, and can also be the most expensive type of leather.

Thanks a lot again

Sara Chang

http://www.britishmotorcyclegear.com

Regardless of what leather you use, don't forget to condition it well and put a good water repellant on it. You might check the biker gear section for recommendations on saddle bags. The top ones I can think of ,ATM,

are Montana pitch blend, Snoseal, and Pecards.