Sign in to follow this  
jeremiahsavoy

Misc Holsters Awaiting Color

127 views and no comments it just dont seem fair . First thanks for showing us this work . I can appericate the time at the bench from the first cut to the last stitch . That needs to honoured no matter what . I dont make holsters so this is not my area of expertise . I did enjoy the 3 one and rember thinking " Now This is Getting Somewhere " Nice I enjoyed the last two as well thinking " This Will Work ,Nice " The first two my thoughts were "Great Design ,man that stitching needs to be closer " So thats my thinking on these holsters. I cant imagine what my holsters would look like as I dont make them , so it dont seem fair to comment about what I can not do . My thinking is always "Will This Sell ?" To Whom" at "What Price ?" then "Whats The Competition?" Then the last one "Would I Travel Far and go fishing with This ? Keep on truckin and enjoying the craft and sharing the pics . All My Best Bill

I have yet to start making holsters as I am still in the process of acquiring tools, books, and knowledge shared on this forum. The first two pictures appear to be a kind of IWB holster. I like the use of the snap on system. I like how the dye job on the 2 final examples turned out. Thank you for sharing the pics.

I think your conceptual designs are pretty good, i dont see anything that really stands out as red flag wavers...the things i have noticed are more in technique...now bear in mind, im a picky little snot, so take it for what its worth...first, it looks like you have the leather way to wet when you are forming it...after i have my holsters all sewn up, it gets a quick dip in warm water, maybe 5-7 seconds max for 7-9 oz leather, then i let it sit for a few minutes before i put the gun in and start forming...when forming, you want to rub all of th eleather and not just the areas you want to recess...using a rubbing stick or a bone folder will give it a more uniform look...your stitch length looks a little on the long side...i like 5 or 6 spi for holsters...if you dont have a stitch length wheel, use a ruler and mark a hole every 4mm...this works out to 5 spi...try to make your stitchlines connect and flow a bit more...even sharp curves look better than 90 degree turns...sometimes it is unavoidable, but try to minimize it...edging, even on IWB's, is very important to me...spend alot of time on them and read some of the tutorials on edging here...good luck and have fun...

Nice start. The top one looks the the gun will sit to deep in the pants to be able to get a good firing grip on it, almost looks as if the belt would run across the grip in fact. I agree with renegadelizard on the stitch lines and length. Good start and keep at it!

Jeremy

These look to be IWB? If so you've got the operator drawing across his own body? IMHO not safe practice ..have I made any like this "guilty "yes (only one)I have for a very experienced operator just an observation

Savoy,

I'd suggest a couple of things.....

First, spend some time testing your designs -- carrying guns in them, drawing and reholstering, etc. It will help you with some design tweaks. For example, on your Summer-Special style, I think you'll find it rdes too low in the pants for easy reholstering or proper grip. Try attaching the loops lower on the holster, which will bring the mouth of the holster back up toward the beltline.

I've struggled with getting consistent dye jobs on my holsters. The only thing I've found that works well is an airbrush, but the finish is not very scratch resistant. I've turned to using drium-dyed leather, but other have gotten mush better results with dipping or rubbing.

tk

The edges look like they could use some work. There is some great advice here http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=16609

tk

Savoy you holsters have come a long way. I have been watching them on Face Book the last year or so and you make some damn nice ones. It was you that actually inspired me to dig out my fathers tools from the attic and start learning how to tool. I have only been at it a few weeks and my goal is to attempt my own holster and gun case along with knife sheaths. Keep up the good work and congratulations on your success. I hear people talk about your stuff quite a bit now.