Yeldarb

How To Keep Edges From Bunching

Hello All,

I have reading for a while, decided to jump in with my first post.

I have been doing leatherwork for about 6 months and have been running into the same issue for a while. Wanted to put it out there and get some help. (Also anything else you see I need help on, please feel free to mention, I am sure there is a lot)

When I stitch around the edges, I seem to pull the leather in and it will bunch or curve creating an unwanted look. Would love some feedback on how to fix this issue. I have attached a photo of the issue. I have a few that are worse if you would like to see them as well :)

Thanks for your help.

Here is one more example.

post-37172-0-67072500-1393772861_thumb.j

post-37172-0-40710700-1393773012_thumb.j

I think there are three things causing this. #1 it is the type of leather you are using it is soft #2 You are pulling the stitches too tight. Try a piece of material that has a firmer feel to it if you have it available. #3 the thread might be to big for your needle. My two cents. Good luck.

What kind of leather and how thick is it? It looks like you're pulling you stitches too tight. For softer lighter leathers, don't pull with as much pressure.

Andrew

Yep, pulling thread too tight, as mentioned.

The thread does look very heavy for the leather?

What's the long piece btw? Is it a money belt?

Are you sure your two pieces are the same exact size? It almost looks like your top piece of leather may be slightly larger than the lower one, so when you try to match up the stitching marks you get a riffle in the larger piece. JM2CW

Thanks for all the feedback.

Here is some more info:

- The light tan piece is 9 1/2'' by 4'' and it a pretty thin leather with .40 waxed thread (it a wallet based off the walter mitty movie)

- The darker one is 3 1/4'' W by 3 3/4'' H, it is 5/6oz leather but soft with .40 waxed thread

- they were pre glued

What size thread do you all recommend for 5/6oz leather.

Thanks again for all the feedback, very helpful.