Sign in to follow this  
Maestro

Restoring An Old Leather Jacket

I have an old leather jacket (ca. 1970s) that my dad gave to me, and it fits pretty well. The problem I have is that on the shoulders, the elbows, along the zipper, and on the lower forearms there's evidence of wear like what is in the picture. I'm wondering how to redye or refinish it to remove that cracked and worn appearance. It is a dark brown, and looks like some sort of shiny polished or oiled leather. It also smells sweet, the significance of that I am not sure.

post-17261-005378200 1287374261_thumb.jp

Maestro

I see alot of Motorcycle Jackets in this condition. Often, the Jacket was black at one time but fades and wears out to a dark brown. I use a wonderful product called Doc Bailey's Leather Black. It cleans, conditions, waterproofs and blackens all in one. Im not normally a fan of all in one products, but this stuff is the bomb! It really seems to give the leather a new life. When used on a dark brown, it will darken but not "dye" it black. When used it on faded black (brown) it really looks good. They also have a leather clear for colored leathers but I dont think you can beat the "black". Hope this helps.

Kate C

I am considering what approach might work for restoring leather seats with a little wear-destaining in an older corvette that my brother just acquired. Any further comments on touching up faded areas greatly appreciated!

Maestro

I see alot of Motorcycle Jackets in this condition. Often, the Jacket was black at one time but fades and wears out to a dark brown. I use a wonderful product called Doc Bailey's Leather Black. It cleans, conditions, waterproofs and blackens all in one. Im not normally a fan of all in one products, but this stuff is the bomb! It really seems to give the leather a new life. When used on a dark brown, it will darken but not "dye" it black. When used it on faded black (brown) it really looks good. They also have a leather clear for colored leathers but I dont think you can beat the "black". Hope this helps.

Kate C

Edited by 2palominos1bay