KAYAK45

Replacement Heel Measurement

OK guys and gals, I'm new to this boot thing and want to resole and reheel as a start.

How do you measure and size for heel replacement?

They seem to come in "7 to 15" or such and what is the difference?

Also seams, some use a "sheet" of heel rubber and cut there own. Pros and Cons?

Your help, as always is appreciated

Novite Kevin

coffeecomp.gif

Just run of the mill boots. Some are ropers, other CLASSICS how are the sizes determined.?

Kevin,

Attached please find a chart I put together for you, outlining several CB heels, in an attempt to answer your sizing question.

Some of the figures may be hard to read. Let me know if you need any clarification.

CB heels are solid rubber with washers to cinch the heads of the nails (known as Rubber Heel Nails ) tightly to the heel base.

In days gone by, for factory heels bases, if even if just the last layer was leather, these nails were sufficient to hold the rubber heels on, maybe with a thin coat of glue for a sealed edge.

Nowadays, with Robus and other "particle leather" ground to bits and glued together as a layer of "leather", the strip is more often used for replacement. Sometimes with a 12 iron(1/4") lift and 6 iron mid layer, the Hardened Thread Nails are more appropriate. I usually use a 6/8 length.

The heels used for this photo were what I could grab quickly. Different brands will have slightly different measures.

Which is better is a question with a relative answer, CB heels with washers usually have a higher abrasion level, but worse come to worse, you may have to replace the entire heel base with genuine leather.

But the Threaded nails hold pretty good.

Good Luck,

post-8631-033924400 1309752675_thumb.jpg

Oops, I just saw that I didn't label the sizes.

Across the top are 5, 7, and 9.

The bottom row are 11, 13, and 15.

BTW, some Ropers, one used to be able to safely say all, use a half heel.

The measuring system for that type of heel is a whole 'nuther kettle of fish.

They run from 10-11, 11-12, 12-13, 13-14. I don't think I've ever even seen any larger than that.

Half heels are generally washerless, using an auto nailer, a coil nail machine.

Vibram is the only brand I care for with washer type half heels.

As to ordering half heels without a size reference, you might get lucky and get a salesman who will take the measurement of your heel base and help you with the correct size.

Welcome to confusion. If you're looking for logical standardized references, good luck.

THANKS A LOT PAUL!

No really. The reason I was confused is that it is confusing.

That's a lot better, to my mind, than being dense, on my part.HAHAHA

Yes I was looking for systematic, logical system, not subject to manipulation or interpretation. That's all.

How's the new shop coming along, Paul? Find everything you lost in the move, yet?

After consideration of your answer, I have come to I think, the only orderly answer to this situation.

On the marrow I shall use my trusty FINDER list I obtained from my mentor, and order from McPherson 4 pairs of all sized listed. Luckily they are not of extreme cost.

I take your words of caution to heart and am prepared to replace the entire heel, and to that end have laid aside a soling bend for that purpose, if needed. I already ordered from that purveyor lemonwood peg, lasting pliers and assorted supply.

That will give my the stock I will need and when I get done, I shall have their experience necessary, and they shall have my money.

Altogether a fair trade.

Kevin,

Good Choice. If you use them in 3 months, you're good.

I'd suggest just one 15 unless you have "that style" in your area, or your own closet.

7, 9 and 11 will be the sizes you'd use most often.

You could avoid the expense of a strip at first by just getting several pair of quality 12 and 15 iron toplifts. Usually 13/14 is the smallest.

If you wanted to avoid a strip of mid soleing, as often is seen with glued on heels, you could just get a couple of pair of rubber midsoles.

They're usually something like 4 iron and 6 iron. You could get 2 or 3 pair for heels changes , per pair w/o the expence.

A soleing bend is good of course, maybe too good. See if you can get a butt, it's usually cheaper by the pound.

Keystone Leather Co. has heel lifts precut in different sizes for quanties.

The shop is doing good. Come down for a visit.