Kasiopea

Upgrading, So Many Choices, Help!

HI,

I am finally upgrading from a regular sewing machine to a leather sewing machine. Reason being is I want to make horse tack (Halters, bridles, heavy padded tack, girths... etc. NO SADDLES). I was researching the market, and got completely overwhelmed with the amount of machines available. Here is what i need: The machine has to sew through heavyweight leather, 2-3 layers of 8-9 oz leather or so. Also it has to have a high foot lift, at 1/2 inch or higher for padded tack. The padding on the tack is, foam covered in sticky soft leather, so i guess i need a triple feed system? or a jump foot will do it?

Now all of that sounds very expensive:) Price wise, I'm looking for a happy medium. I saw a Techsew GA5-1R for $1,500. It has a high lift, goes through heavy leather, but as i understand its not a leather sewing machine, and also im not sure about its feeding system. On the other hand i was looking at Artisan Toro machines that can range up to $4000. I understand that it is better to buy 1 good machine and never worry about it again, but isn't there anything good in $2000 price range or lower? What are your recommendations? I also understand that there is no miracle machine, that does everything and costs nothing.

So I'm looking for the next best thing ;)

P.S. also forgot to mention about Ferdco Pro 10/10 machine. Has anyone had experience with it? What is your opinion on this machine?

Edited by Kasiopea

You are right about the GA5-1. It only has bottom feed and a flat pressor foot and fixed position needle. It is perfect for belts, bridles, weight belts, buffing wheels; things that are level on the top and can be tooth driven on the bottom. It, and the other machines like it, are capable of sewing 1/2" maximum, although they are factory set to sew 7/16" under the foot. The foot can be raised a bit, until it almost hits the needlebar at the bottom of its stroke. This allows a full half inch to be sewn.

Since you are sewing padded and foam filled items, a compound feed machine will work better for you. These machines are triple feed: the feed dog, needle and inner pressor foot move in concert. The only job the outer foot has is to hold down the work as the needle lifts and moves forward, between stitches.

If your work dictates a cylinder arm machine, some of your best options, in no particular order, are as follows.

• Adler 205-370 (needle feed, jump foot + feed dog, 3/4")
  • Juki 441 (triple feed, 3/4")
  • Cowboy CB4500 (triple feed, 7/8")
  • Cobra Class 4 (triple feed, 7/8")
  • Artisan Toro 3200 (triple feed, 7/8")
  • Luberto Classic (square drive, needle feed, jump foot, 1")
  • Union Lockstitch (quasi-post, needle & awl, jump foot machine, 3/4")
  • Campbell-Randall (quasi-post, needle & awl, jump foot machine, 3/4" or 1")
  • Ferdinand Bull (jump foot, ~3/4")
  • Tippmann Aerostitch (needle feed, jump foot; requires an air compressor, ~3/4")
  • Puritan (post, chain stitch, needle & awl, jump foot machine, ~3/4")
  • Cowboy CB2500 (feed dog fed, flat or roller foot, 1/2" with raised foot)

Some of these are very expensive new, some are sold as rebuilds, others are deprecated, but sometimes available used. Prices are all over the map. A Juki 441 or Adler 205 cost several thousand dollars, as do the Union Lockstitch and Randall stitchers. 441 clones sell for $2500 and less. A CB2500 is just over 1k.

I neglected to mention that the Cowboy and Cobra 441 clones are available with shorter 9" arms, for about $500 to $600 less than the long arm models. They still sew over 3/4" and have triple feed. Artisan may still have some model 3000 short arm machines left.

Thank you so much! It was very helpful Im going to continue looking for a triple feed machine. I think the Toro 3000 is my best bet though. Spring Field Leather has it for a decent price.

... I think the Toro 3000 is my best bet though. Spring Field Leather has it for a decent price.

How much?

All of the dealers on this forum are in competition with their heavy stitchers, especially the 9" arm models. If I were you I would contact them all and compare not only the price of the machine, but also the cost of shipping and what accessories can be thrown in at what, if any additional cost. The banners on top of the pages have phone numbers. The exception is Bob Kovar, of Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines. He has no banner, and no website yet. His phone number is 866-362-7397. Bob is the dealer in the US for Cowboy leather stitchers and they have a model CB3500 (I think) with a 9" arm. Then, there is the Cobra Class 3 - 9" arm machine.

On Spring Field Leather its going for $1,895.00. I need to find out the shipping cost. I will compare the other machine prices too, and thank you for the contact!:)

How much?

All of the dealers on this forum are in competition with their heavy stitchers, especially the 9" arm models. If I were you I would contact them all and compare not only the price of the machine, but also the cost of shipping and what accessories can be thrown in at what, if any additional cost. The banners on top of the pages have phone numbers. The exception is Bob Kovar, of Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines. He has no banner, and no website yet. His phone number is 866-362-7397. Bob is the dealer in the US for Cowboy leather stitchers and they have a model CB3500 (I think) with a 9" arm. Then, there is the Cobra Class 3 - 9" arm machine.