sfcdan

new ludwig 441

With the prediction that the Toro 3000 was going up in price, which came true, I purchased a new sewing machine. Sorry, I wasn't a Toro 3000 (at least by name), but I did get a Ludwig 441. The machine is currently advertised on Ebay for about $2050, plus shipping and handling. The other motivation for my purchase was the fact that I only live 4 hours away from Redding CA. I drove up state, purchased the machine, and brougt it home. I've heard a lot of comments on customer service from the Toro, and i'm sure it's unbeatable, however, Jim from Ludwig has also been very helpful. If you want to save yourself a few bucks, I strongly recommend this machine. I've ordered several accessories for the machine and shipping has been fast. For the price, you do have to inquire about the motor that it comes with, but you can arrange it with the company to have the one you want. I arranged to have the Sewquiet 4000 which gives me absolute control when I'm using it. Here's two pictures, and the major difference between the toro and the ludwig, is the pedestal, and the name. As stated, for the price, you can't beat this deal.

ludwig_441_1.jpg

ludwig_441_2.jpg

post-5249-1226417639_thumb.jpg

post-5249-1226417654_thumb.jpg

I feel the need to comment on the last portion of your post. While I truly respect your decision to purchase the machine of your choice the last part of your post was in error.

There is a major difference between Artisan products and ALL of our competition.

To begin, there are major differences in the quality of the internal parts. Compare your shuttle hook and race with that of the shuttle and race we use in our TORO 3000. Artisan parts are manufactured to OUR standards and with well over 1500 machines in the marketplace we have the track record to back up our claim of being the innovators and not the just another company who copies!

Secondly, Artisan TORO Stitchers are now shipped with a Limited LIFETIME Warranty. If your motor fails on your Ludwig, or a shaft wears as a result of a poorly engineered bushing on your Ludwig, etc., you will be in a position of paying for a replacement and your total cost will then FAR exceed that of an Artisan.

Not only do our customers receive the Limited Lifetime Warranty, but they also receive:

Extra Needles

Extra Bobbins

Halogen Lamp

A Left Toe Foot

A Right Toe Foot

A Double Toe Foot

A Deluxe Roller Edge Guide

Dollars to Donuts you only received a left toe foot. The other feet are close to $100.00 EACH when you purchase them. The Deluxe Roller Edge guide is $105.00.

If you were to purchase the extra feet etc - your Ludwig would cost CONSIDERABLY MORE than the Artisan.

You say you ordered several accessories as well. What were they? What was your FINAL COST, I would really like to see that posted as well.

One last thing - there is no doubt an Artisan will last a lifetime - but let's just pretend it will only last for say 20 years. With a Lifetime Warranty and Lifetime Telephone support - does the few dollars you THINK you saved amount to more than $5.00 - $10.00 a year? No it does not!

Tripping over dollars to save dimes is not always the best approach.

To summarize - I am not knocking the Ludwig machine. What I am saying is that INVESTING in an Artisan would have brought an immediate smile to your face and you would still be smiling for years and years to come.

Edited by Artisan Dave

I also respect your comment, but truth is, I have a smile now.

As a Toro owner, I'd have to agree with Dave. Of course, I've been the beneficiary of Artisan's customer service for some three years now.

Personally, I have no issue with someone bragging on their new machine. That's human nature. But, you open the door to counter-response when you take a virtually unknown brand and put it up beside Artisan, which is an institution in this business.

In short, Artisan has YEARS of consistently being there for the customer. In fact, I know of many instances where they've assisted folks with machines made by other manufacturers. That's not just good, that's damn good.

The only machines I recommend are Artisan. I don't see that changing.

Edited by BruceGibson

Everyone has their preferences, and saving money is not a bad thing either. I don't own a leather sewing machine myself (cost + lack of space being the issue), but I know some who swear by their Tippmans or Jukis. To each their own :)

Hi Dan,

Great to have a new machine. For a while you will be making things just to sew them. Have fun.

Art

I also respect your comment, but truth is, I have a smile now.

Thanks Art, you're opinion is always appreciated.

I do apologize if I sounded like I was bragging about the machine, that's not the case at all. I was trying to explain that for my budget, it's what I could afford, and I'm truly happy with it. I've also experienced the customer service from Artisan, and let me say, it is the best.

Sew good things. Doesn't matter if it is Artisan or Ludwig. I have an Artisan and they are great people. But there are other good brands. What counts is what you make with the machine.

:red_bandana::red_bandana::red_bandana:

Hi Bruce and Dave.

Artisan machines are great, but they fall victim to Jerry's refusal to beat his own drum. First time I have heard of all the accessories that come with the 3000, especially the extra feet. We never hear that the Artisan Toro's are built up from castings by Artisan, from parts to their specifications, by superb mechanics in California, not by knockoff shops in Taiwan and China. Nobody says that the stands have over-spec casters, probably because Jerry doesn't think they are bigger than necessary (they are). The sewing parts on the Toro's are as good or better than anything German or Japanese I have seen. The real quality of a machine can be seen right down under the needle plate, you need to take off the needle plate and cover and compare all the machines you are thinking of buying, do this at the next show you attend, if they pooh-pooh you, give them a pass, if they aren't proud of what's down there, what does that say. There are only three companies that have passed my test so far, Artisan, Campbell-Bosworth, and Weaver, who in each instance had a top mechanic demoing their machines. When a mechanic WANTS to teach you everything you want to know about their machines and takes all the time necessary to do so, this is a big indicator of pride in the machine, which is a good sign of quality, not the only sign, but they all add up.

I HATE buying anything of significance based on price. Doing so, you can pay too much or get too little quality. You have to search for the quality and price combination that fits your needs and of course your wants.

Art

As a Toro owner, I'd have to agree with Dave. Of course, I've been the beneficiary of Artisan's customer service for some three years now.

Personally, I have no issue with someone bragging on their new machine. That's human nature. But, you open the door to counter-response when you take a virtually unknown brand and put it up beside Artisan, which is an institution in this business.

In short, Artisan has YEARS of consistently being there for the customer. In fact, I know of many instances where they've assisted folks with machines made by other manufacturers. That's not just good, that's damn good.

The only machines I recommend are Artisan. I don't see that changing.

Hey Dan,

Brag all you want, you've got a machine which will take you to the next level production wise. And did I say, you've GOT a machine. Let us know how it works, and we'll always be here if you need help.

Art

Thanks Art, you're opinion is always appreciated.

I do apologize if I sounded like I was bragging about the machine, that's not the case at all. I was trying to explain that for my budget, it's what I could afford, and I'm truly happy with it. I've also experienced the customer service from Artisan, and let me say, it is the best.