lel

My Handmade Leatherworking Knives

After seeing and excellent post from rawcustom about his skiving knife I decided to show the knives I recently made.

I have "Super Skiver" and "Safety Beveler" from Tandy but no mater what I did I could not master any of them. It usually took a lot of time and effort to get the result I wanted. My other hobby is a knifemaking so I decided to make my own skiving knife. I also wanted to try a small round knife instead of "Angled Utility Knife" (also from Tandy) that I've been using to cut leather. I could not call it a head knife, more like a half of a head knife.

Leather Wranglers knives were my inspiration for this project, so you might see familiar shapes.

I looked at my small steel inventory and decided to use a 2" wide 1/16" thick piece of ATS-34 that I had. I don't have a furnace so I had to send blades for professional heat treatment. They are about 58-59 HRC.

For handles I used stabilized wood: maple with 416 stainless steel bolster for skiving knife and spalted maple for another.

One of the images shows sheaths that I made for them. As you can see I made handles thick and rounded just because I like the way they sit in my hand.

post-37937-0-94053100-1427608793_thumb.j

post-37937-0-84877100-1427608794_thumb.j

post-37937-0-31334300-1427608795_thumb.j

post-37937-0-85810000-1427608795_thumb.j

post-37937-0-33687400-1427608796_thumb.j

those are some really good looking knifes and the best thing about it that you made them your self

Those are very nice. Beautiful.

Very nice indeed.

Love the handles! The one on the round knife looks a couple of millenia old. Never heard of spalted maple but I like. The bolsters look great, too. Just cool stuff you have there.

I love the one with spalted maple. So nice.

You are very talented indeed ...

They are great, how are they to use, they look like they would be as smooth as butter.

COOL!!!!!!!

I have also found that what is offered is not necessarily the best. These look worth selling !!

Thank you, guys, for you kind words. The knives perform very well, even better then I expected. Now I prefer push cuts when cutting leather and they are easier to do than dragging a utility knife. If I started all over I would grind a round knife much thinner like I did with a skiving knife, which has no secondary bevel.

Spalted maple is a wood that was affected by fungi. It introduces discoloration and dark lines, also makes wood very light and soft almost like a dried sponge. It required stabilization, and guys at WSSI did a great job at it. They also suggested to add a yellow (gold) die during stabilization process to slightly enhance the colors.

These are beautiful! congratulations. They are sure to outlast anything you would buy over the counter.

Amazing work!

Very beautiful knives. You did a great job on them.

Great work. Great knives.