DavidL

Leatherconnection.com Books Worth The Money?

Seems to me like a pretty skimpy description of what you are getting for that much money. He doesn't even say how many pages the book contains, nothing about photos and illustrations, etc....

For 97 bucks you can buy a lot of other manuals that cover the same subjects and more.

For 97 bucks you can buy a lot of other manuals that cover the same subjects and more.

I totally agree with WyominSlick.

I totally agree with WyominSlick.

I think I may pick up the manual since it also has online help and the author is a registered e learning teacher from uk.

Are there any other books that are worthwhile to pick up for things like making pockets and things like luggage bags, briefcases and backpacks.

There are lots of youtube videos that I have seen out there. I know Tandy and Springfield Leather carry a few books on briefcases and such.

I purchased the first book. It was ok. Quite expensive for what it was. Had some interesting info on calculate hide yields and such but I don't think I would purchase it again.

Andrew

DavidL,

I know this isn't a book, but have you looked at Nigel Armitage's U-Tube Videos ? If he hasn't made one for the exact leather project you are looking for, check the videos by other leatherpros, usually stacked on the right side of the screen.

Here's the address I have on my Favorites list: Nigel Armitage - You Tube

(You can either hyperlink it or copy to your search engine.)

If you've never looked at Nigel's videos, you're In for a nice surpise !

ToddB 68

Edited by ToddB 68

The page is http://theleathercon...on.com/id30.htm ..Any one has heard or own any of his publications?

I owned the the first two editions while I lived in England. They were not to my taste. That doesn't mean that they aren't a good resource for the craft of leather. The two books must be in the shed some place. I loaned one out to Kathy S to help her make a choice and it was returned without comment so I am not sure what she thought of it. There were a lot of words, a lot of background, a lot of information and some simplified line drawing. Francis has a long history of fine leather crafting. He has been ill for a long time, but I don't know his status these days. I'll go look for the books and post a representative picture of a page or two if it find them.

Bob Stelmack

DavidL,

I know this isn't a book, but have you looked at Nigel Armitage's U-Tube Videos ? If he hasn't made one for the exact leather project you are looking for, check the videos by other leatherpros, usually stacked on the right side of the screen.

Here's the address I have on my Favorites list: Nigel Armitage - You Tube

(You can either hyperlink it or copy to your search engine.)

If you've never looked at Nigel's videos, you're In for a nice surpise !

ToddB 68

I have seen his video on the web and Ian's videos are great as well.

I owned the the first two editions while I lived in England. They were not to my taste. That doesn't mean that they aren't a good resource for the craft of leather. The two books must be in the shed some place. I loaned one out to Kathy S to help her make a choice and it was returned without comment so I am not sure what she thought of it. There were a lot of words, a lot of background, a lot of information and some simplified line drawing. Francis has a long history of fine leather crafting. He has been ill for a long time, but I don't know his status these days. I'll go look for the books and post a representative picture of a page or two if it find them.

Bob Stelmack

Thats exactly what I was looking for. A page of the book would help my decision.

$97. Ay?

I'm off to write a book folks.

Nige

Hi Davidl I have known about these e books for some time but never seemed to get the money together to buy as tools came first, I found a lot of information in an out of print book called Design and Construction of handbags by W C Double it can be expensive to buy if it can be found but I used our local library to find a copy.

$97. Ay?

Nige

Better get on it Nigel. I have money set aside for a book.

I have seen his video on the web and Ian's videos are great as well.

Thats exactly what I was looking for. A page of the book would help my decision.

I've sent you a Private Message (PM) regarding a copy of a page.

Bob Stelmack

I owned the the first two editions while I lived in England. <<<snip>>> I'll go look for the books and post a representative picture of a page or two if it find them.

Bob Stelmack

I located the following manuals:

No. 1 Basics, Straps, Belts, Handles. Hand & Machine Sewing, Paring, Cutting, Costing, etc. It contains information & tips never given before. The use of tools & the fundamental methods used over time to produce a neat & craftsman like finish are often overlooked these days. They are certainly not adopted by most or the producers of, Belts, Dog Equipment & other Strap makers. The only places you can find well made items of this nature are goods produced by a Rural Saddler. The General Leather Worker/Craftsman is now all but extinct as they were the only Leather Workers capable of Hand Stitching. Indeed we took this to a higher degree than the requirements necessary to make horse tack as we included other methods of hand stitching like Corner Stitching.

No. 2 Light Leathergoods Part 1. Wallets, Notecases, Purses, dealing with every aspect & type of construction. Plus further information on Cutting & Costing. Every example is taken through from it's cutting, assembly procedure, sizes of all patterns are provided, the making of assembly jigs are included & finally all examples used have their own individual material costing to show how this is achieved. A range of items has been selected to cover every aspect of construction from, Cut Edge or Raw Edge as it is sometimes termed, to Turned Edge.

No. 3 Light Leathergoods Part 2. Small Boxes, Cylindrical Objects, Gift Ware, Jewel Boxes & Cases, Writing Cases, Etc. Examples of Built Up Work, Block work, Molded Work, Zipped Articles, etc. Again many areas & subjects never fully covered before. The subject of making the wooded carcase for the jewel boxes is also fully dealt with. Again the range of objects selected covers all the skill relating to this area of leathergoods & will enable the participant to learn all the skills needed to make a full range of goods to their own design. This manual is however more advanced than the previous two & making sequences are now excluded as everyone should by now be capable of working out their own assembly methods.

I'll sell for $97 for all three plus $9 shipping.

Bob Stelmack

$97. Ay?

Nige

Just because someone is "charging" $97 for a book does not mean people are actually buying them...or that the book is worth $97 at all.

I am not referring to any future book that Nigel may or may not write -- I am talking about the original books posted about in the first post. There is no way on Earth I am going to pay $97 for a book that has almost no information about it, no example pages or pics, etc. Some might. I will not.

I'll drop mine to $95 for you then LTC.

:thumbsup:

Nige

Books sound almost as lucrative as selling plans & instructions on-line. Eh Nige.

Books sound almost as lucrative as selling plans & instructions on-line. Eh Nige.

I've talked to the writer of the book and he seems to be very talented. He's selling more of an online professional course than a how to book and the material is meant not for people into hobby and crafts but for people to make a living from leather work. Hence the slightly inflated price tag.

Just because I sell the things I make doesn't mean I should be expected to pay more for his books than others.

Oh well it's a good thing I already have quite a library of reasonably priced books on leatherworking. :)

Hi DavidL

Forgive me if this one has all ready been mentioned but it is a great book and covers some of the ittems you are interested in. More importantly she covers the basics so you can design your own. I also second the Al Stohlman case making books.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1844034747

Cheers, Toolingaround

I agree with DavidL, it is more of a 'professional' course. I have all 4 published manuals, and they go into great detail on all aspects of leatherwork. I liken it to a written appreticeship in pro-leatherwork. The author has very good credentials (did my homework!), and the manuals are layed out like a college course would be taught. If you're an aspiring professional, especially in the 'English' style, I would recommend these manuals. Having said that, you still have to put in the time to read and understand the manuals..and they are very, very thorough (some people would find it on the dry side). Hope this helps! :)

(Side note: I've contacted the author on the status of the remaining manuals to be written, and because of his health, they will not be published. The first four manuals are still avaliable, however.)

If you go on youtube and search for Tandy you can find all their videos.