Singermania

Pearson No 6 Busmc No 6

HI All,

I have a few parts for the no 6 that I am unable to fathom, I was hoping some of you out there would be able to explain to me what they might be and be used for... You will see 3 needle plates and 1 foot, I hope they are clear enough. I'm also looking to buy some springs for no 6 shuttles, either the t spring or the the read spring and screws would be great. Thanks Steve

post-19343-0-59938900-1377057781_thumb.j

No idea on the parts. Be interested to find out though. Martins harness in Canada has the t springs and the tension springs. I noticed in a for sale post you had two types of shuttles. I have one of each type. Do you know why they are differnt. I can't seem to locate a place to buy the tension spring for the shuttle were it goes on the outside. I've shimmed it for now but it wont last forever.http://www.aaronmartin.com/product.php?catview=137 I hope this link works.

Best of luck, Mike

Edited by rawhide1

HI Mike, thanks for your reply, I haven't had any luck with the bits so far, the foot I've shown seems to be more common in France, so maybe the answer lies there. The shuttles differ I think simply with age, so they changed the design a little over the years. Early ones had a row of holes down the side like many other shuttles did and no spring, Les would know more about that than me. Yes I must contact the guys in Canada, so far have tried to be the Australian supplier and independent from them, I understand that other Aussie suppliers of Pearson bits get them from Aaron too. One of the machines I've just gotten in has an interesting base, I think a one off, with a BUSMC square foot pedal to actuate a 3 phase motor, its a bit different, made by someone with the skills and enginerring equipment to hand.... I'll get a couple of photos of it and let you see.

Again thanks for you response, I always like to chat about machines. Regards Steve

Steve

I'm always glad when someone posts something on the #6. There is still a lot I'd like to learn about them and their capabilities. I absolutely love using mine. I wish a supplier would start making size 120 and 140 needles for it again. Then I could use it for smaller projects!!

I'm always on the look out for parts for mine. The shuttle I have with the spring on the outside I got off of ebay. I actually felt kinda of bad. I only paid .99 cents for it. It cost the fella more to ship it than he got for it. I'm using that one now as the other one needs a new spring. As of now I just can't make myself pay $50 some dollars for a new one plus shipping from Canada. Hoping I come across one on ebay or craigslist.

I'll be looking forward to the pics of that #6

Mike

HI Mike, I'm finished for today, I have hundreds of #6 needles, some round point some leather in most sizes, I'll have a look thru to see if I can supply any of the smaller sizes. Photo of machine to follow, busy today mending a bag for a friend. Regards Steve

Steve

That would be great

Thanks, Mike

HI Mike, sorry haven't sorted thru the 331 needles yet.... howevever here are some photos of the interesting stand and drive system along with various flywheels showing made in Britain, France, Germany and Britain for distributer O'Flaherpost-19343-0-08904500-1377393030_thumb.jpost-19343-0-52206600-1377393085_thumb.jpost-19343-0-31810800-1377393140_thumb.jpost-19343-0-67445500-1377393201_thumb.jpost-19343-0-63402300-1377393253_thumb.jpost-19343-0-54722200-1377393364_thumb.jty in Canada....

post-19343-0-94900100-1377393619_thumb.jpost-19343-0-00539800-1377393671_thumb.jlast two

Steve

Thanks very much for the pics. That is a pretty unique looking #6. Your right it looks like someone with some know how done a heck of a job on the set up. To tell the truth I'd be scared to death to run mine on a motor. I don't even use the foot pedals I just use the handwheel!! That's plenty fast enough for me!! That's pretty neat to see those other handwheels from other country's. I'd sure like to spend a day in your shop there and look at all those machines. No worries on the needles when ya get a chance to look just give me a holler. Do you know what the smallest thread is that they used to run through these machines. I tried running 138 through mine with a 160 needle. I was having trouble getting the bobbin tension tight enough. But I'm pretty sure I need a new tension spring for it anyway. Would you happen to have a picture of the older bobbins. The ones with the holes drilled in it for the tension instead of a spring. I'm thinking of trying that to see how it works.

Thanks again, Mike

HI All,

I have a few parts for the no 6 that I am unable to fathom, I was hoping some of you out there would be able to explain to me what they might be and be used for... You will see 3 needle plates and 1 foot, I hope they are clear enough. I'm also looking to buy some springs for no 6 shuttles, either the t spring or the the read spring and screws would be great. Thanks Steve

Hi Steve the middle two needle plates have been made up by someone they are holster or stirrup plates the plate on the left is genuine I haven't come across one or the need of something like it on English harness at a guess I would say its for sewing the forewale on a broller(French horse collar), as to the foot I haven't got a clue but its incomplete clearly there is something that fits on the right hand side. the foot pedal and clutch where originally for use with a line shaft once electric motor's came along the clutch was integrated into the main shaft on the machine head where the pulley is, the saddle and boot emblem was on the early castings and later castings where less embellished as on these two punch's the plain one is much later;

post-22210-0-50279400-1377488562_thumb.jpost-22210-0-75005900-1377488528_thumb.j

How many spring are you after?

Steve

I'm always glad when someone posts something on the #6. There is still a lot I'd like to learn about them and their capabilities. I absolutely love using mine. I wish a supplier would start making size 120 and 140 needles for it again. Then I could use it for smaller projects!!

I'm always on the look out for parts for mine. The shuttle I have with the spring on the outside I got off of ebay. I actually felt kinda of bad. I only paid .99 cents for it. It cost the fella more to ship it than he got for it. I'm using that one now as the other one needs a new spring. As of now I just can't make myself pay $50 some dollars for a new one plus shipping from Canada. Hoping I come across one on ebay or craigslist.

I'll be looking forward to the pics of that #6

Mike

Hi Mike firstly the smallest needle that was available was 150 they are way too long to be useable in smaller sizes they would just brake it is a heavy machine designed for horse harness the finer work was done on other machines like the A1 and Pilot, the A1 (walking foot) was a Wm Pearson design and the Pilot (needle feed jump foot with auto reg tension like the No6) was developed by BUSM both would sew up to 7/16" the Pilot is a huge beast weighs more than the No6 and considerably more complicated like the No6 its all fixed no timing or tension adjustment needed and produces the same high quality stitch, A1 at the front Pilot behind;

post-22210-0-38321700-1377491993_thumb.j

As far as Im aware the shuttle you are using isn't for the No6 but from another machine never come across one in a No6 they where many machine manufactures around in the early years using similar shuttles the spring on the outside isn't for the thread with the bullet shuttle the shuttle kicks as it picks up the thread the spring knocks it back into the race, the No6 uses bronze strips under the shuttle plate so the shuttle doesn't kick I would inspect these on your machine as the spring could damage these.

Hi Steve the middle two needle plates have been made up by someone they are holster or stirrup plates the plate on the left is genuine I haven't come across one or the need of something like it on English harness at a guess I would say its for sewing the forewale on a broller(French horse collar), as to the foot I haven't got a clue but its incomplete clearly there is something that fits on the right hand side. the foot pedal and clutch where originally for use with a line shaft once electric motor's came along the clutch was integrated into the main shaft on the machine head where the pulley is, the saddle and boot emblem was on the early castings and later castings where less embellished as on these two punch's the plain one is much later;

post-22210-0-50279400-1377488562_thumb.jpost-22210-0-75005900-1377488528_thumb.j

How many spring are you after?

Hi Les, great to hear your in depth knowledge on these machines. Yes I agee that the machine has been adapted from a line shaft arrangement, using bits already out there. I have a couple of the top clutch mechanisms in stock too. Around 10 of my shuttles are missing various bits, however I can't really afford to buy the springs at full retail price, I need both the T spring for bobbin tension and also the thread tension spring and two screws or studs. Would be looking for at least 10 of each. By the way the bottom of that odd foot is not flat, but has a section that would appear to slide along or in something else.

Did you see thepost-19343-0-29974800-1377501933_thumb.j foto of my latest aquisition, absolutely thrilled to finally have these two Pearson heating lamps. I have the brackets as well, do you know about them? one is taller than the other....very expensive, but worth the years of waiting. Its really satisfying to have the BUSMC / Pearsons surrounded by their tables, bobbin winders and lamps. Actually the lamps were the last peice of the puzzle, the second last and now safely preserved was the rein rounder attachment and matching needle plate. Get back to me on the springs Les, are you still making parts over the Winter months? Regards STeve

Don't come across many lamps and most of them have been heavily corroded the English climates not too kind on the old iron the electric heating elements are more common, its good to see that these are now being saved, haven't done much on the machine front for a couple of years now never seam to have much time these days, Ill run a batch of the springs not difficult and we can trade for some needles. I would like to see some photos of the French and German machines.

Les

Thanks for the info. On the needles and the shuttle. I'll for sure check those brass strips out for damage. I'm sending ya a pm about the tension springs.

Thanks again, Mike

I wonder does anyone have notes on the BUSMC/Pearson no 6 serial numbers and when they were manufactured. I've noted down some numbers and ages over the years, but don't have any really solid printed matter to back up my and other people's estimates. Would love to hear how others have dated their machines, are there any authoratative lists like Singer's. regards Steve

We are now remanufacturing some parts for the Pearson no 6, Les is producing some Shuttle springs for me and in house we now offer new flywheel handles including the screw in bolt and new rein rounder attachments with matching needle plates.... prices are $35 and $390 respectively Australian. Get yours while the exchange rate favours overseas enthusiasts.

Does anybody have the email address for Beiler's in Pennsylvania? I hear they sell Singer 97 needles.??

Regards Steve

Steve,

Can you post a picture of the rein rounder attachment. Do you think one of these can be made or fit to the Cyclone?

Ralph