I have not bought those, so I can't be sure, but with how big Tandy is I don't think they'd flat out lie. That being said, another option would be Springfield Leather Company. I know you'd get quality product from them.

http://springfieldleather.com/18883/Belt-Blank%2CSnaps%2C1%22x48-52%22/

Yes they are full solid leather. They are obviously going to pick the best to photograph. I have one here so I know they are ok. Personally Id get a hunk of Hermon Oak from Springfield and cut your own. Thats what I do. I currently have 5 75" blanks waiting for me to make then into belts. I paid 5.79 per sgft for them. I told Springfield I wanted a piece of back or shoulder that was 2 sgft by 7 sgft with a straight edge. They cut me a great piece of Herman Oak and I cut my own belts to size. works very well.

If you buy belt blanks at Tandy, at $19.99 each they cost you $39.98 a sg ft. That's real steep. You can afford the strap cutter and snaps and still be ahead on 6 belts.

Michael

Ash okay, if I do order I hope I can some nice, full of character ones. I live in the uk so I'm not sure springfileds is an option.

What sort piece would I be looking for if I wanted to cut my own?

As mlapaglia said above, shoulder or back leather works well for belts. Good stiffness and thickness. 3.2 - 3.6 mm which translates to 8 - 9 oz leather for us Americans is as the typical belt thickness. If you tell the supplier you go with that you will be making belts and in which widths, they should have a good idea what to give you.

It's 15sqft, which is 2160sqin

I could make 800 3/4" belts or am I totally wrong?head_hurts_kr.gif

Well one thing to keep in mind is the length of the belt. If you belts are averaging 40ish plus inches the double shoulder would likely not be long enough for 2 in its length...so how about as many belts as you can get width wise with a bunch of dog colars the same widths?

Another thing to consider, coming from Tandy, there is bound marks on it even though it's "premium"

Kevin

http://www.tandyleat...re/9052-01.aspx

Thanks guys, how does the above look?

It's 15sqft, which is 2160sqin

I could make 800 3/4" belts or am I totally wrong?head_hurts_kr.gif

Yes, you are totally wrong.:rolleyes: your math is off a decimal point. I'm assuming with your calculation you were figuring on a 36" belt. 15sqft is 2160sqin but a 3/4" x36" belt is 27sqin, which means 80 belts but as stated above you won't be able to use the whole piece. You will have alot of uneven edges you will have to trim

I've emailed Tandy and asked for a price for 7ft by 2ft and I'll what they say.

Thanks guysnotworthy.gif

I don't know about Tandy elsewhere but mine does not cut leather.

Kevin.

I don't know about Tandy elsewhere but mine does not cut leather.

Kevin.

(This is by mail order) Not only don't they cut it to size but you don't usually get exactly the square footage that you order. It's approximate. They send you apiece close to what you ordered. But like I ordered 14 square feet and got 11.5, which is fine because they only charge you for what they send you and 11.5 was perfect, but don't expect to get exactly the footage you order.

Edited by Mike516

An alternative to Tandy in the UK is Le Prevo, I've got tools from them, and am just ordering some leather. Probably worth dropping them an email with your requirements..

I just bought my first piece of "proper" leather from Le Prevo last week. Because i'm a noob i was worried about getting the right leather, so i rang them up and spent 15 minutes chatting to the guy who selects the leather for your order.

I didn't catch his name but he was a brilliant source of advice.

The leather i bought arrived a few days later and its really nice stuff.

I learned so much from those few minutes talking that i would recommend Le Prevo to any one!

adam