billymac814

Where Can I Get A V Belt Locally?

I'm about to need a belt as I'm installing a speed reducer. I couldn't order the belt as I didn't know how big I would need. I don't want to order one if I don't have to. Do auto parts stores sell them in various sizes or a furnace supply house, tractor supply?? I figured I'd ask here before making all the phone calls or running around. I should have it all hooked up within the hour so I'd like to get a belt today if at all possible.

Thanks in advance.

Billie,

Yes,try any of the 3-places you mentioned,ask for a 3L or 3/8" wide belt & whatever length you need.

Sounds like you already know where to check. Yes , good auto parts stores carry various sized belts, as well as good old fashioned hardware stores.

Auto parts stores usually stock 4L, or 1/2 inch wide belts. These are too wide for sewing machine pulleys. As Bob said, look for sources of 3L, or 3/8 inch wide v-belts.

Where should I try first? Does tractor supply sell the correct ones in a lot of sizes?

Auto parts stores usually stock 4L, or 1/2 inch wide belts. These are too wide for sewing machine pulleys. As Bob said, look for sources of 3L, or 3/8 inch wide v-belts.

I buy at Grainger also but O'Reilly's Auto parts usually has the 3/8"

ferg

I'd stay away from tractor places, and auto parts, . . . most of their belts will be 4L or 1/2 in wide.

What is the width at the top of your pulley? That tells you the width you need for your belt. Getting the length will be tricky, . . . it always is.

If you have a mom & pop hardware store nearby, . . . that is where I would go.

May God bless,

Dwight

Be cautious because automotive V belts are a differant angle than machine belts are. Many auto places will have machine belts too, but be aware they are differant. If the guy behind the counter does not know/understand the differance he is likely selling you an automotive belt, it will slip.

I just ordered one, screw it I thought. It sounded like it was going to be a treasure hunt and I don't have time for that tonight. I got it from McMaster Carr, they normally arrive the next day so I should have it tomorrow which is fine.

Thanks again.

Billy, here's a place probably right down the street from you, should you ever need a belt in the future.

Motion Industries Inc

1060 Mill Run Rd, Altoona, PA 16601

(814) 941-8330

http://www.motionindustries.com/motion3/jsp/mii/index.html

Billy, here's a place probably right down the street from you, should you ever need a belt in the future.

Thanks for the link, according to the address that place is within a mile of my house but I can't picture where it is, I wish I would have known about it before I ordered one.

I did check with another supply place but they didn't have one and our local Graingers closed down about a year or so ago. I probably could have found one but my son has a basketball game at 5 and I figured McMaster Carr could get it to me pretty quick if I call before 5. Hopefully it'll get here tomorrow although its not a big deal to hand crank it for a day if it takes until Friday, I have a feeling it'll be friday.

Motion Industries Inc

1060 Mill Run Rd, Altoona, PA 16601

(814) 941-8330

http://www.motionindustries.com/motion3/jsp/mii/index.html

Seems there is an old saying,"Know what you need before you buy."

ferg

Here's a simple formula that will get you in the ball park, place adjustment at the half way mark on the adjuster rod.

Measure distance centre to centre X 2;

Measure diameter of each pulley and multiply X 1.57

Add it all up and that's the length you need.

Example: Dia. of Large pulley: 3.5" x 1.57= 5.495

Dia. of Small pulley: 2.0 x 1.57 = 3.14

Distance between pulleys: 17" x2 The sum of all: 42.635. A belt length of 42/43 inches will get you in the close enough, the rod adjustment will do the rest.

Worked for me! Good Luck

Leo

Leo,

Thanks for that, I may double check my measurement and see how close I was. I had some leather belting laying around and I used that to mark how long I needed. I added a little to the measurement since it laid down in the groove.

I doubt my belt is coming today by the way. If it doesn't come tomorrow I'm going to call the place that was mentioned earlier in this thread.

Here's a simple formula that will get you in the ball park, place adjustment at the half way mark on the adjuster rod.

Measure distance centre to centre X 2;

Measure diameter of each pulley and multiply X 1.57

Add it all up and that's the length you need.

Example: Dia. of Large pulley: 3.5" x 1.57= 5.495

Dia. of Small pulley: 2.0 x 1.57 = 3.14

Distance between pulleys: 17" x2 The sum of all: 42.635. A belt length of 42/43 inches will get you in the close enough, the rod adjustment will do the rest.

Worked for me! Good Luck

Leo

Well because I have slightly more money than patience(I have very little of both) I called Napa and they have the belt I needed so I ran and grabbed it. I went with an inch bigger because that equation figured it to be 35" and I got 34" using the leather belt. As soon as I got back the damn FedEx truck showed up with my belt. As it turns out though the 35" fit without even having to adjust it, I could have probably adjusted it to fit the 34 though but didn't bother trying.

So the moral of the story is math is good and napa has belts.

The Motion industries place doesn't stock anything so it must be just a small place that orders from thier main warehouse. That would probably explain why I've never seen it

Ok, it's all together and works better than without it. I now have about 2-3 speed settings, beyond that and its far to fast for this machine although the slowest is what I'll mostly use as this machine is only used for repairs and when I can't use any other machine so it rarely sees any long runs. Now that it doesn't really require any feathering of the pedal I may try to teach my wife how to use it so she can do some repairs.

The one downfall that I didn't see coming is that it makes it very difficult to spin the handwheel by hand. I'm hoping that now that it can go pretty very slow that I won't need to handwheel it much and at that point I may re-install the brake on the servo.