J Hayes

Double Layer Belt Thickness

Just curious what everyone is doing for carry belts. Made myself one from 2 layers of 8/9, ends up just over 1/4", .29" thick. I like it but it may be too thick for some holsters. I stopped the inside layer just before the buckle tongue slot.

Thanks

Jeremy

Merry Christmas to all, or Happy Holidays, whichever applys

That sounds heavy for double - 8/9. I've made them about .240-ish, but that doesn't like some belt loops. Lately, seems folks have been wanting them 3/16-ish", which is about double-6/7oz, and skive the inside so it goes all the way through to the end. And, 1.5" wide is definitely most popular.

Most of my carry belts are 1/4" give or take. There are some hoster manufactures with slots not big enough for that size belts. However most of my requests for carry belts are from customers that either have my holster or are ordering a holster from me. So I have not had any problems with fitt.

Edited by camano ridge

I just finished a gun belt. I used 4-5oz for the liner and 8-9oz for the outside. Turned out just under a 1/4". About right, IMO..

I literally take a dial caliper with me when I go buying leather.

An 8 oz starts at .125 thickness, . . . and a 9 oz could go as high as .155 and not be technically a 10.

Putting two pieces of that together will make one heavy belt.

I generally shoot for the belt to finish at .200 +, . . . and no greater than .240. I've worn a .250 for a number of years, . . . which also is very rigid and unforgiving at times.

I buy my leather accordingly, . . . using my caliper to tell me what it is, . . . regardless of which stack it is in, . . . or what stamp is on it. Sometimes they inadvertently have a fat or skinny one in the stack, . . . it can mess up your whole day if you buy it without noticing it.

May God bless,

Dwight

Yeah, it aint always in the right pile, that's true. That .155 "should" be in the 9/10 pile, but it doesn't hurt to check. Of all the complainin' about Tandy, I actually LIKE their 'Royal Meadow' leather, but I know ahead of time that the 3/4 is actually going to measure more like 4.5 oz. Long as I know that it's fine.

For myself, I prefer a belt in the 10-12 oz range (7/8 or 8/9 backed with a 3/4).

I take some quarters with me to the store.

1 is right at 4oz and 2 stacked is 8 oz.

pete

Good idea, Pete! Thanks for the tip!

Really though, we sometime don't give ourselves enough credit. I'll bet most of us can 'call' a thickness with our hands. I was just building a holster yesterday from what was supposed to be 8oz. I could tell just working with it that it wasn't quite 8. The caliper confirmed that it was 7oz..

I take some quarters with me to the store.

1 is right at 4oz and 2 stacked is 8 oz.

pete

Nice tip. I have me a 4 quarter belt.