Sign in to follow this  
Tkleather1

Newest Square bottom chinks

Here is a pair of square bottom chinks I just finished up. The bodies are a stone oiled hide from Tandy and the Yokes and Side panels are 7/8 oz. H.O. with an oil finish. The conchos are Horshoe brand from weaver.

This pair has an adjustable backbelt, and it is the maiden voyage down that river for me so tell me what you think and what you would do different and how I can improve my tooling.

Thank you all

Tim Worley

TK-Leather

Square bottom chinks.jpgAdjustable Backbelt.jpgTooled chink yokes.jpgFlat close up.jpg

post-9593-126116356307_thumb.jpg

post-9593-126116359016_thumb.jpg

post-9593-126116361233_thumb.jpg

post-9593-126116363096_thumb.jpg

Tim,

They look great. I just wish the lacing wasn't covering up part of the carving. Maybe next time you could leave an uncarved space for the lacing like you did for the conchos.

Claire

Tim,

They look great. I just wish the lacing wasn't covering up part of the carving. Maybe next time you could leave an uncarved space for the lacing like you did for the conchos.

Claire

Agreed. I should have scooted the carving over just a bit.

Narrower fringe and a one inch back belt is plenty Tim. You are above the learning curve on most of your work lately...keep it up!

Just for the record the fringe on these is alot narrower than appear in the picture but I do agree that it is still probably too wide. as far as backbelt goes I wasnt sure and all of my others have a two inch so I stuck with that, but now I know better. Thanks for the kind word Elton and Bonnie I sure do appreciate it

Dont quit on me now I need more advice and critisism.

Thanks

Tim Worley

TK-Leather

Tim,

I think they look great. I'm by no means talented enough to offer criticism, nor advice. The only thing I would have done different is on the bottom of the flowers. I probably would have bargrounded the spaces between the border and the tooling. Not toward the front with the single leaf, but along the bottom under the circle and the tiny spaces where the tips of the leaves reach the border. I don't know if that makes sense. It's hard to explain with a keyboard. But, again, I'm not near talented enough to offer alot of input. They look great.

Tim

Looks good. I see two things that catch my eye right off. 1. That if you where to move your vine work coming off the main flower up to the top of your cut border that would keep the vine work out of the stitching on the bottom. 2. I think it needs a leaf coming out from behind the leaf that you have there, going down into the open space by your makers stamp. I think I would also shorten your stitch length a little, to me that makes it look a little more professional.IMO

Tim here is how I do my back belts with a back buckle.

CHRIS CHINKS 015.jpg

You are on the right track. They look good and with every pair you tool I see improvements. Keep up the good work.

Mark

post-9505-126123933348_thumb.jpg

Thank you all for the help and letting me know i am on the right track.

Tim Worley