Sign in to follow this  
George B

Sometimes You Lose, Somtetimes You Win...

I've been stopping into a local (small) gunshop for about a year now. I'de take in some of my latest works and show them off a little about once every couple of weeks.

I do this at my towns two small gunshops, leave cards, leave some samples, smooze with the people there and so on.

One has turned out a lot of business for me and has never asked for any compensation, not once.

The other has netted not one response and furthermore everytime I talk to them they want to buy them at wholesale and resell. I understand this, we are all trying to make some money, but they never commit to anything.

Well, today I hit the two shops for my regular visits. Made a sale at one just being there, customer even gave me a cash deposit.

The other shop, not so great. Both salespeople had just recently purchased holsters, one for his Kahr a Galco shoulder rig, and the other for his Springfield, a strip pancake. Both were wearing them.

The shoulder holster owner told me how great it was but had problems with it fitting him correctly, and every now and then the weapon would pinch in the holster and not come out easily. He also had a problem with the mag carriers unsnapping and have a mag fall out.

The pancake guy was also very happy with his holster and it only took him 4 pulls before he could remove the weapon. The front sight kept catching on the bottom, the last couple of tries I felt sorry for him as it must have hurt his reproductive organs.

It was everything I could do not breaking out into hysterical laughter and costing myself any future business. I simply told them I would have made it more functional and got out to my truck as fast as possible.

I was still LMAO 10 minutes later as I pulled in to my drive.

I guess I win!

Wait a few weeks or so then make another visit. This time bring a similar holster and gun along. Show it to them, telling them that it is being delivered to a customer, but you just wanted to show it off. Works every time.

Wait a few weeks or so then make another visit. This time bring a similar holster and gun along. Show it to them, telling them that it is being delivered to a customer, but you just wanted to show it off. Works every time.

I just happen to have one similar to the rig Chuck Norris used in "Walker Texas Ranger", strip or bikini holster, for a Ruger auto and I just happened to see the same model in their cabinet.

This one has been changed (improved?) in the sight tunnel and not once locked up or had the front sight catch. Had so much fun making one for a customer I decided to make one for sale.

The shoulder rig will be hard to take in as I sell out as fast as I make them, but I do have referrals who will be more than happy to talk to him.

Great advice, Thanks

If you want their business than make a spare shoulder holster and take it in. Nothing sells like the leather in the hand. Its worth the time to make one extra for the business it could generate. If nothing comes of it than you have one to sell to someone else.

I have been wholesaling for a long time ,what I have learned is people will either buy or they wont . To hell with the ones who arent buying simple as that . Life is too short to be dealing with peckerwoods and nimrods any way .Why waste time with fools ?

I've been stopping into a local (small) gunshop for about a year now. I'de take in some of my latest works and show them off a little about once every couple of weeks.

I do this at my towns two small gunshops, leave cards, leave some samples, smooze with the people there and so on.

One has turned out a lot of business for me and has never asked for any compensation, not once.

The other has netted not one response and furthermore everytime I talk to them they want to buy them at wholesale and resell. I understand this, we are all trying to make some money, but they never commit to anything.

Well, today I hit the two shops for my regular visits. Made a sale at one just being there, customer even gave me a cash deposit.

The other shop, not so great. Both salespeople had just recently purchased holsters, one for his Kahr a Galco shoulder rig, and the other for his Springfield, a strip pancake. Both were wearing them.

The shoulder holster owner told me how great it was but had problems with it fitting him correctly, and every now and then the weapon would pinch in the holster and not come out easily. He also had a problem with the mag carriers unsnapping and have a mag fall out.

The pancake guy was also very happy with his holster and it only took him 4 pulls before he could remove the weapon. The front sight kept catching on the bottom, the last couple of tries I felt sorry for him as it must have hurt his reproductive organs.

It was everything I could do not breaking out into hysterical laughter and costing myself any future business. I simply told them I would have made it more functional and got out to my truck as fast as possible.

I was still LMAO 10 minutes later as I pulled in to my drive.

I guess I win!

I have been supplying a few shops in my area for several years. The retail business revolves around having what a customer wants when the customer wants it. If it is there a sale can be made; if not there will probably be no sale (although occasionally a customer will place an order for production and delivery at a later date, based upon what he has seen at the store).

I've set a limit on wholesale orders at 12 pieces, as specified by the retailer. Then they can let me know what they need to refill the display and those items are produced and delivered on a monthly basis. Payment on delivery is required; I don't do consignments. The shop gets a reasonable wholesale price, allowing them a good profit on each sale. No returns for refund or credit. Special orders are filled on the same basis.

Lots of retailers inquire about stocking my products, but most want a consignment deal or payment submitted after each sale. A recipe for disappointment, in my opinion. If the retailer can't afford to stock his store it is highly unlikely that he will be paying his bills on a timely basis.