Sign in to follow this  
yougotmandy

Help In Northeast Texas

I live in Northeast Texas and I want to learn how to do leatherwork. Does anyone know of anyone within a few hours from me that teaches or does classes of some sort?

You must have a Tandy store near you. That would be a great start.

ferg

I live in Northeast Texas and I want to learn how to do leatherwork. Does anyone know of anyone within a few hours from me that teaches or does classes of some sort?

Go to tandyleatherworks.com and see where the nearest shop is. They have classes you can take, kits of tools you can buy, and when you know what you are looking for, individual tools as needed.

Spend some time on this website. It is full of ideas and interesting projects and is populated by a very friendly and helpful bunch of leatherworkers.

Decide what it is you want to make: holsters, belts, cases, cowboy gear, knife sheaths, clothing items.... Do you want to carve? Dye? Paint? All of the above? Are you looking to start a business? Do you need a sewing machine or will you hand stitch? Where are you going to set up your "shop?"

Then consider some books on the subject. Look on the web, on Amazon.com, and then come back here and see what others recommend. I'm interested in a lot of things, but recently bought the 3 volume set of The Art of Making Leather Cases, by Al Stohlman. They are on sale at Tandy for ten bucks until the end of June 2011. Very good sources for ideas, techniques, etc.

THEN, go for it.

Roger (a new leatherworker in Fort Smith, Arkansas, USA)