Sign in to follow this  
Rod and Denise Nikkel

Would you use this tool?

A question for all you leatherworkers: Would anyone have use for a tool like the one pictured below? It is a T square that is flat, and it doesn’t exist anywhere to the best or our (and Lee Valley Tools) knowledge. It is used to make a precise horizontal line on both sides of an existing vertical one so that a line on both sides would be sure to be identical and at 90 degrees. Or it would draw both lines at the same time and make sure that the vertical line would be both centered accurately and a true 90 degrees to the horizontal line. It is used to be very precise in marking out patterns, making sure they are identical side to side. As well (if it had markings all along the bottom) you could use it to mark accurately, say, 4†out from the center even if that center part of the leather or wood was already missing.

The reason I am asking is because we had this one made up and I use it all the time in marking out the parts of our trees to ensure both sides are identical. I sent the idea in to Lee Valley Tools, and they seriously considered making it, but decided not to because they didn’t think there would be enough of a market for it. This one we had made and the markings (for which be paid per mark, which is why it is only marked in certain places) are too wide and not totally correct so I have had to figure out how to compensate for it. I would really like a good one made by people who know how to make accurate rulers, etc.

So – would anyone have a use for one in your business, or know a business where it would be useful? If I can prove there is a reasonable market, maybe I can get Lee Valley to reconsider and build me a good one…

T_square_in_use.jpgT_square_moved.jpg

post-1524-1181974065_thumb.jpg

post-1524-1181974108_thumb.jpg

If you want one, it would be fairly expensive because someone would have to hand make & mark (e.g. figure about the the same as if you custom made one out of leather for a client). If you want to get few hundred made so you can market them, send me e-mail or PM. One of my son's in Arkansas has a computerized fab shop for metal that can easily produce these.

Regis

Edited by Regis

I'm just trying to figure out if anyone else in the world would even want such a tool. The first tree maker who saw it couldn't say, "Is there another one like it?" fast enough, so for building trees it works great. But would any other type of work want one?

This would be a variation on a center-finding ruler that can be purchased at any store that sells supplies for cutting mats for photographic prints. This, however, would be a center-finding T-square & have added advantages over the c-f ruler.

(Johanna: I tried to copy & paste a picture of a center finding ruler, but somehow was unable- ??- anyway, if someone can paste a pic of it, you'll see the similarity)

And yes, I also would be interested in a center-finding t-square.

I would think there would be a market for these in exactly the same places that sell the center-finding rulers (art stores, fabric stores, specialty wood shops, photo shops that mat prints, framing shops, etc)

Edited by whinewine

Here is a picture of a center-finding ruler

Actually I can think of some uses for this in woodworking also

center_finding_ruler.jpeg

post-388-1182084578_thumb.jpg

Edited by MatthewD

I believe I would have it made with a pencil slot up the exact center of the T leg.

Regis

Regis,

That is one of the things I had already put on the plan for "the next one" if we ever get it.

whinewine,

I like the name of the Center Finding T Square. I know about center finding rules, but somehow had just never correlated this tool with that concept, though that is what it is. Thanks.

Denise