I was finally able to get my wife's kindle cover finished up since I'm on vacation.

Did the whole thing out of some 8-9 oz (scrap piece from Zack White) and then ended up putting a lightweight calf-skin liner in it to hold the elastic bands since the linen was only going to tear out. She opted not to have a closure system since it will pretty much always be in a bag of some sort.

Really need to work on keeping even tension on my lacing, but the important person likes it (or at least she's just happy I'm done with it).

post-22094-083615100 1334800716_thumb.jp post-22094-093669000 1334800753_thumb.jp post-22094-021803500 1334800771_thumb.jp

It was a long time coming but well worth the wait thumbsup.gif

That looks really good, glad to see the leather has kept

that natural spider web pattern it had.

I don't have a Kindle, but I do have a graphic tablet,

I might have to put together a case for it Lighten.gif

Looks good, now you can start that bag for your bike you spoke of wanting to do.

That looks really good, glad to see the leather has kept

that natural spider web pattern it had.

Yeah, I'm really starting to like those stretch marks, as long as it doesn't effect the structure of the piece.

Looks good, now you can start that bag for your bike you spoke of wanting to do.

Every I pull the bike out to go get a template figured out I end up hopping on and riding instead B)

Yeah, I'm really starting to like those stretch marks, as long as it doesn't effect the structure of the piece.

Every I pull the bike out to go get a template figured out I end up hopping on and riding instead B)

Get started early. Take it out for several hours then make the template. That's my advice!

When I did mine, if I remember correctly as it's been a year or so... I picked up some posterboard stuff and made the template from that. Made it real easy to design it to the bike. It should be real easy to come up with on to follow the hardtail on yours.

Nice cover! I like your way of attachingthe kindle to it. My ideas to attach the kindle to my cover failed miserably so I just went for a sleeve instead=) 

Nice cover! I like your way of attachingthe kindle to it. My ideas to attach the kindle to my cover failed miserably so I just went for a sleeve instead=) 

Yeah, it was a pain. But, now I know how to pull it off. I have some other assembly pictures that show the guts on my other computer.

My ideas to attach the kindle to my cover failed miserably so I just went for a sleeve instead=)

So here's how I attached the Kindle to it. There are probably better ways, but it's what I came up with and it works.

- To start with I chose (read that "my wife chose") a piece of fabric she liked for the inside.

- After cutting that to relatively the right size with about an inch of overhang, I set it aside and went to work on the actual liner.

- I started by creating a paper template for each side since I had already rounded the corners on the actual work and i wanted to make sure everything matched up nicely.

When doing this, leave the center binding out of the equation. I think this added up to about 1/2" in the center where there isn't any lining. I did this so that it would still fold with ease.

- Once my templates were cut, I chose some really light weight scrap from my Springfield remnant bags and cut them to size while counting for a hair of overhang (less waste).

- I used rubber cement and temporarily placed the liners on the actual cover so that they would be lined up right. Once satisfied, I sprayed the tops of them with some adhesive to attach the fabric and then rolled in into place taking care to get everything nice and tight (using a piece of PVC pipe as a roller).

- Once the adhesive cured, I peeled the liners and fabric off of the kindle cover in once piece so I could begin placing the elastic.

- I had previously created a Kindle template that showed the overall size and where I wanted the elastic bands to lie on it.

With the liners facing out, I placed the template on what would be the right side and marked the slit locations on them then cut through the liner and fabric with a craft knife until I had a slightly under-sized slit. Leaving it undersized will help with the tension from the elastic.

- I then slipped the elastic bands through (about 5 1/2" of length) until there was about 3/4 - 1" folded over onto the back and then stitched that down. For reinforcement, I actually stitched on both sides of the slit so that it wouldn't pull out and tear under force.

- After starting both straps on one side, I pulled them over and did the same thing on the center-most side. As you can see from the pictures, the elastic is pre-stretched at this point.

- Once that was completed, I glued down the left side lining to the Kindle cover with leather weld and let it cure. After that, the tricky part came in.

- Since we're dealing with elastic on the right side, I ended up gluing it down in stages. I was able to glue down the first half of the right side since there wouldn't be any tension at that point and let that cure which aided in getting the rest of it down. Once that's done there's only a couple of inches left to adhere.

- From this point you need to pull the elastic tight and make sure that each corner gets lined up properly. I was able to hold it with one hand and then use my roller to make sure that each corner was good and tight. Once I was satisfied, I placed some weight on top to hold things in place until it properly cured.

- Once that's all nice and secure you can trim up all the edges and then start punching holes for lace.

Here is the left side liner ready to glue down. Nothing to fancy here.

post-22094-007258400 1334948167_thumb.jp

Here's the tricky side. You see I've marked which side it is (confusion is annoying). The straps are folded from the outside facing in toward the center and I've stitched all around the edge, as well as on the outside edge of the slits. You can also see the unlined portion of the binding. Keep in mind, the lining is only here to hold the elastic.

post-22094-001503000 1334948215_thumb.jp

Here you can see the first half of the right side glued down. At this point I know everything is pretty well lined up so I can focus more attention towards keeping the elastic stretched out while gluing.

post-22094-047391300 1334948341_thumb.jp

Love it! really nice job!