desertw0lf

Quick Help On Seat In Progress

I'm doing a new seat for my bike and I have a whole roll of 2-2.5 oz embossed leather splits.

The tooled center portion of the seat is 7-8 oz . I was wondering if this embossed stuff would be rugged enough to use in the sides and wrap around to be riveted to the pan...

Top will be laced to the side skirting.

Trying to finish this puppy by tonight so help is much appreciated

I'm doing a new seat for my bike and I have a whole roll of 2-2.5 oz embossed leather splits.

The tooled center portion of the seat is 7-8 oz . I was wondering if this embossed stuff would be rugged enough to use in the sides and wrap around to be riveted to the pan...

Top will be laced to the side skirting.

Trying to finish this puppy by tonight so help is much appreciated

Never mind. Idiot neighbor tipped a quart of glue over onto the seat top not an hour after I got it all tooled up, that crap dries fast and is a great way to weld a seat and tools to ones bench. =(

Ouch!! Sounds like your neighbor just bought himself a new seat. Still doesn't get one on your bike tonight though.

OMG!!!!!!!!!!

Well so when you get another one made.....

I have used the pre embossed gator before.

I had to double the seams on the bottom. ! thing to try is maybe take some Veg Tan and make a template that you can cement to the embossed leather and fold it over the veg tan is what I guess I am trying to say and then you can rivet it to the bottom of the pan.

Check out my seats, I try to stay away from rivets! And attach my leather either directly to the pan by drilling out the seat pan, and lacing staight to the pan or, I make a 1 1/2" bottom piece to lace the top to and stretch the skin on the pan or just lace it with the pan sandwiched between the top and bottom leather.

But if it is a Fiberglass stock seat pan then you are basically stuck with either rivets or some fancy screws with beauty washers.

But def. at least fold over the bottom seams so there is some meat there to rivet to and use some glue on the bottom as well.

And punch your neighbor in the neck:)

Nice site Chancey - looks like yer "livin' the life" guy :)

Sorry to hear about the glue incident Desert - I too learned the hard way just a few days ago - in the middle of gluing up some parts and knocked my own contact cement over - thank God I always put glue in a little plastic jar when I'm working - was a lot smaller amount than a quart but I was scrambling pretty fast to get it cleaned up with thinners before harm was done - it never touched leather either - I vowed to keep the glue well away from the work and capped even if it's only a couple minutes between uses that day.

Gotta hate it when the F'up Fairy knocks on yer door :0/

If it makes ya feel "any" better, I spent all of yesterday learning (the hard way) that 9 oz veg tan is just wayyyyyyy too heavy to try and work as a gusset on mini saddlebags - off to the leather shop today to pick up some 4 oz, then recut, redye, restart the assembly phase of the project. Even worse is the fact that the project is PINK! LOL Customer is involved with rides for breast cancer and what the customer wants ... ;0)

Hope yer day gets better

Edited by McJeep

Nice site Chancey - looks like yer "livin' the life" guy :)

I try like hell anyway!

THANKS FOR CHECKING IT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I make a lot of seats and only in the last 3 years even bothered taking pictures(so 10+ yrs gone):) and just made the web site last year, so that is 2 years worth of seats on there now, I am willing to help out anyone I can!

Send me an email or PM if you have any seat questions I am always around!