I am trying to find more information on a Pfaff 1221. I did a search, and that particular model is not mentioned on the forum, and there is not much informaiton from google searches I can think of either.

A local sewing machine shop has one for a very reasonable price. I understand this isn't a harness machine, and I would not be able to do much in the way of veg tan leather on it. This morning I took in some samples of glued together leathers to test on the machine. There was no thread, but with a leather needle it punched through 2, 3, and 4 layers of upolstery leather like it was nothing. It also punched through about a quarter inch of veg tan. The guy who owns the shop is worried about selling me a machine I won't be happy with. I am thinking I would be able to use this for upolstery leather, and possibly to sew a piece of 4-5 oz leather onto upolstery leather items I have made. A few questions:

What is the max needle size this machine can use?

What is the max thread size this machine can use?

Stich Spacing?

Anything I should know about the machine prior to purchasing it?

Edited by azrider

I looked into that Pfaff 1221 and found it to be a common household sewing machine. It is for sewing cloth, not large pieces of leather. It will take #69 bonded nylon thread and should use a #16 or #18 needle with that size thread. The feed is drop feed, with feed dogs. It has a static pressor foot and needlebar.

While you "can" get it to sew leather, it will not feed it properly. If you use it to sew 1/4" thick veg-tan belts, you may convert it into a toaster.

The stitch length will vary with the resistance of the material, against the feed dogs and pressor foot. If you convert it to a roller foot you may get 5 or 6 to the inch.

, as described by a mechanic who rebuilds them. It appears that they are easily broken.

I am trying to find more information on a Pfaff 1221. I did a search, and that particular model is not mentioned on the forum, and there is not much informaiton from google searches I can think of either.

A local sewing machine shop has one for a very reasonable price. I understand this isn't a harness machine, and I would not be able to do much in the way of veg tan leather on it. This morning I took in some samples of glued together leathers to test on the machine. There was no thread, but with a leather needle it punched through 2, 3, and 4 layers of upolstery leather like it was nothing. It also punched through about a quarter inch of veg tan. The guy who owns the shop is worried about selling me a machine I won't be happy with. I am thinking I would be able to use this for upolstery leather, and possibly to sew a piece of 4-5 oz leather onto upolstery leather items I have made. A few questions:

Stich Spacing?

This is not a leather machine. I own a 1222 and love it for it's portability and ruggedness. (for a household) I sew backpacks and other heavy nylon things like utility vests and the 1222 does a fine job for me. 18 needles and #69 even #92 thread and stitches from 20 to 4 are common for me. This machine could certainly do the odd upholstery job or repair but it's not designed for that and would give up the ghost sooner or later. Find something better suited I would counsel.

-T

That is a home machine, not made by the same company that makes (or made) the industrial Pfaff machines. Lotta plastic in there. Small little motor. Bad choice for leatherwork.

Art

Stich Spacing?

Thanks all. Thats exactly what I wanted to know.

as already stated .. no Pfaff 1222 is not a heavy duty leather sewing machine. 

but it's perhaps one of the strongest home style machine with fairly heavy duty internals. 

this guy claimed he managed to sew a complete leather car upholstery set.  

https://youtu.be/FjbtRB0bJvc

Edited by singer45k

They do have a little foot that  comes down the back of the presser foot and helps pull material somewhat, so that makes them a little more capable vs. the plastic shell price leaders being sold today. Still, they are what the others on here have told you. There is a "vintage Pfaff sewing machines" FB group that is pretty active.  It is discussed there. They have manuals in their Files section too.