Hi

I recently applied a Eco-Flo Gel Antique on a veg tan product I did, buffed it to get rid of the excess, waited for a day to dry .then proceeded to apply C Wax,the next thing i noticed was that the it was all coming of, showing all sort of streaks on the leather .

And i noticed it if comes in contact with water.

Have i missed anything in my process,if yes what should I be doing.

Appreciate the help I can get

cheers

ayo

Same thing for me. Even after sealing with several layers and several products. I'm done with Tandy gel antique.

Bill

I have used both the Tan and the Mahogany and have never had these problems.

I like the color you get from the Mahogany, Saddle Tan and Tan antique gels. But I made some arm bands using Mahogany and Saddle Tan. They seemed fine until I wore them on a hot and sweaty day. I now have nice marks on my arms where the dye bled profusely, through about three layers of Resolene. So it's certainly a no-go for that sort of thing from now on for me.

Bill

I really like the gel Mahogany, saddle tan and tan. It always smears a little bit with the first coat of sealer, but usually that's not too bad. Some months ago, I made some arm bands using Mahogany and Saddle Tan with 2-3 coats of resolene to seal. They seemed to be fine until I wore them out a few weeks ago as the weather got hot and sweaty. The dye bled profusely with sweating and left me with some lovely colored stripes on my arms. While I was able to get the dye mostly off when I got home, it was not a good day! I'll find something else to use for that sort of thing from now on.

Bill

Well the bleeding thing is one reason I prefere the prof. line of Fiebings right now. But I also use and used the antique gels from time to time.
I had this problem just once. The gel didn´t want to stick to the leather, because the sponge I used to "case" the leather (was´t real casing that days, but I made it wet ^^) was the sponge I used to apply some wax on another project before. So the problem was that I sort of sealed the piece before applying the gel. For the cuts that´s no problem, but I wanted to dye the hole piece with the gel which was... sort of not possible anymore ^^.

I really don´t know whether this might be your problem, maybe not.... but it´s worth a look as I didn´t understand it that day at all.....

I use love the Gel Antiques and use them regularly. I have never had issue with them coming off, cracking or anything. I also seal almost exclusively with SuperSheen. I use the Gels by them self, over Cova Paints, Colored dyes and with resists and love the way it comes out. If you look at my gallery, you'll see a LOT of antiquing. As to your issue, I agree with Sona that is sounds like you had some form of a resist on there to block color. I'd keep trying.

I use the medium brown a lot on belts and billfolds. After the antique dries for a few minutes I have been using the Tandy Tan-Kote and then after it dries I use Kiwi saddle soap in a can and brush it after the saddle soap dries with a shoe shine brush till it shines and it works for me especially since I am on a tight budget.

I primarily use the Gel Antiques. I had the same problem of having the dye being drawn out as I ran my sponge filled with finish over it. Here's the solution I came up with, and after figuring it out I wouldn't use any other method. I use an air brush with a 50/50 acrylic resolene/water mix. I never have bleeding issues. The only time I get cracking is if I have pieces that require LOTS of movement (like trying to make lace and braiding it.)

Probably a bit late to comment on this forum but can report very similar issues with the Tandy Antique Gels. I absolutely love the colour the the Saddle Tan Antique Gel and used it on several products, one being a cuff I planned to wear for my friends wedding: sealed it with several coats of tan note and wore it on a hot summer day for a couple hours and sure enough the dye was bleeding through the finish onto my arm! I happen to love this cuff so i tried making a dubbin to apply over the finish as an extra layer of protection- this stuff is virtually waterproof. Wore it out again, and the Antique gel bled through once again- a lot less but still bleeding. This just won't do if I ever plan to sell these items i can't take the risk of it rubbing off on someones crisp white shirt.

I've tried sealing it with Fiebings acrylic resolene and an extra coat of my homemade dubbin as a precautionary measure on a dog leash I made for a friend. It just seems a shame to waste all this Gel I bought as I have it in several colours. So far they have reported no rub off. If only I could find an antique stain that offered a similar vibrant saddle tan colour.

If anyone is using these Antique Gel on heavy wear items and has found a good sealant for it please let me know. Also

would love to see an item dyed with the Fiebings Antique Paste in Saddle Tan to compare. Thanks :)

Miel,

I use the Antiques more than any other dyes. I LOVE them. I wear a belt I made 5 years ago that is finished with the Tan Antique and a couple coats of Tandy's Super Sheen. I also almost exclusively use Super Sheen as a top coat. Like Resolene, it is an acrylic, but it doesn't dry as fast. I have never had issues with bleeding color. I have also used Saddlelac and Spray Sheen with good results on occasion, but Super Sheen is my "Go To" finish.

Anybody try a beeswax over the antique?

I find this topic interesting as I have just had Tandy's Gel Antique recommended to me for a project I have. I've already screwed this project up once, I cannot afford to do so again. I am making a belt and intend to use a resist technique after hand-painting the knotwork that runs most of the belt's length. The background is what I'm thinking of using the gel antique for, but it will be no good if the color runs. So far I've seen a lot of back and forth on the topic and that makes me a bit hesitant to use it for the first time on a project I am already running behind on.

I totally agree with my fellow leatherworkers here that the Tandy Gel Antique is not working well. I just made 4 guitar straps for a customer and used the Gel over cova color used on a tooled design and over airbrushed tooling work. The gel doesn't spread evenly -it dries way to quick - leaving ugly spots and streaks, and it stains the covacolor and airbrush paint and it won't come off. So I had to repaint and airbrush again after the gel. I am used to the beautiful antique effect you can create with Fiebings antique stain, you work it in by generously applying it over the tooled and smooth surfaces, rubbing in circles. After a short time it will become a bit tacky and a darker build up of antique stain appears on the outer edges where you rub it in, you can then take a slightly damp sponge and take excess of stain of making some parts of your work lighter. Also it is very easy to take the stain of your cova paint. With this Tandy gel you can't. It does not come off it gets 'bone dry' and you can't work with it at all. The reason I had to buy these (thank God only small bottles) is this Tandy store did not offer anything else. I won't buy this again. Trixy

I've had good and bad experience with the Antique Gels. I've used Saddle Tan, Dark Brown, Briar Brown, and Mahogeny. LOVE the colors. But lately I made a belt and stained it Dark Brown ... came out beautifully ... but then when I applied finish (Angelus satin) it pulled up some of the stain and came out streaky. My first thought was that the stain just hadn't dried yet (I was a bit impatient) but now that I see others have had streaking problems I don't know. So now I'm going to have to figure out some way to strip the finish and reapply stain. This time I'll use a heat gun to dry it. If it still streaks I'll know it's the product and not me.

All that said, I've never had this streaking problem before.  

I've also noticed that Springfield Leather has stopped carrying Antique Gel and now has something called Antique Paste. Anybody tried it?

27 minutes ago, epiphanist1248 said:

I've had good and bad experience with the Antique Gels. I've used Saddle Tan, Dark Brown, Briar Brown, and Mahogeny. LOVE the colors. But lately I made a belt and stained it Dark Brown ... came out beautifully ... but then when I applied finish (Angelus satin) it pulled up some of the stain and came out streaky. My first thought was that the stain just hadn't dried yet (I was a bit impatient) but now that I see others have had streaking problems I don't know. So now I'm going to have to figure out some way to strip the finish and reapply stain. This time I'll use a heat gun to dry it. If it still streaks I'll know it's the product and not me.

All that said, I've never had this streaking problem before.  

I've also noticed that Springfield Leather has stopped carrying Antique Gel and now has something called Antique Paste. Anybody tried it?

First, this is a common issue with water based products and it has been addressed repeatedly within these forums.  Second, never ever force dry any finish or otherwise; it prevents the product from curing properly and will lead to even bigger issues.  If you are going to get serious about leather work then you need to be patient as that is the only way that you actually get better and your finished products improve as well.  

The Antique Paste, which is from Fiebing's, is the original Antique product that has been around for years and has proven track record.  However, as with any other finish or sealer, let it dry and cure for at least 24 hours before you move on to the next step; this applies to ANY type of color finish or top coat.

Eco Flo that I have is just a bit thicker than milk, is this normal

No, it should be more like toothpaste