QuestingBoots

Custom Boots - Gluing/filling Hard, Cracked Inner Insole?

Hello all,

I have an interesting project restoring/rebuilding my faithful boots that have quested to the far side of the world and back. Not at all falling apart, but requiring improvements. I need help on choice of glue.

My current issue is deciding how to repair what I can only refer to as the inner 'insole', made of thick, hard leather, through which the original nails went which go into the heel. Also, at the front, the current (replacement) rubber outer sole is stitched throught it. However, at the 'waist' point, just behind the stitching, this piece of inner structure has split in half, right where the sole flexes the most. The pictures may help you understand.

post-53650-0-97913400-1405456337_thumb.j

I need to bond this piece back inside the boot fairly solidly. I've read about various glues, for ages, and have gone round in circles trying to decide the best glue(s) to basically 'bed' this piece back in, fill up the gaps and cracks, plus allow waterproofness/flexibility etc.

Any advice from those in-the-know? :)

---

For interest, I've attached another pic, of the heel, which is the first thing I've 'improved'. The boot is an old New Rock cowboy-style model, with the metal-effect nylon heel. I've had them over 10 years. A bad re-heeling meant I wore into the plastic heel, so have now replaced most of this fake heel with an aluminium block, and faced this with a PROPER stainless steel trim. The rubber grip is a military replacement heel, modified.

post-53650-0-33953400-1405457079_thumb.j

The leather will be refinished (slight age crazing, nothing too bad, need to also find what best for that..), and they had cavalry-type extended tops, which I am rebuilding in proper boot leather (which I have sourced/selected successfully, hooray!)

Cheers, Ed

Edited by QuestingBoots