Sign in to follow this  
MarkB

Round Knife Weavers master tool knife

Weavers master tool round knife.

I am looking at buying one and need to know if the are as good as they claim they are.

Mark

Mark,

if it is the standard round knife that they sell under their own Weaver brand, it is probably the same steel composition/type/number used in the Osbornes. Several years ago, when I was researching round/head knives, I called them & asked them the difference between the two & I was told by the person I spoke with that the steel in both were the same. Whether it is still that, I can't say.

russ

Mark,

I got one in a set last year and it went to a new home. Steel seems just alright. I don't much like the shape. They are alright for straight runs and track pretty good, but those bluntish points won't go around many inside curves. They skive OK. If the steel is the same as the Osborne, I'd go with that based on shape. There are some other options too, and I wouldn't overlook the older knives.

Thanks everyone

I have a CS Osborne that is about 20 years old is that an old type or a new type? I think I have finally got it sharp I may begin to like it more but hated it before even when I thought it was Sharp. I will play with it more till I get some money put together. Might get to liking it and not need a new one. I just thought someone might have more information one what to buy. Thanks again

Mark

Thanks everyone

I have a CS Osborne that is about 20 years old is that an old type or a new type? I think I have finally got it sharp I may begin to like it more but hated it before even when I thought it was Sharp. I will play with it more till I get some money put together. Might get to liking it and not need a new one. I just thought someone might have more information one what to buy. Thanks again

Mark

Mark,

That's a new one....but is probably alright. Couple of things...Bob Douglas has a large selection of old used knives. He (or maybe Herb French) removes the shoulder of the blade back about 3/4". Thinning the edge is critical to being able to sharpen and maintain the knife. Your knife would be fine ounce it's tuned up. I've never used a Weaver...but would probably never try one.

Bob

Mark,

I had to run out in the middle of my reply....I had more to tell you. If you buy a knife from Bob Douglas, it will be tuned up nicely...really sharp, however they are expensive! He likes the old Gomph and Rose knives. If you can find a Bill Buchman knife, they are very good also (IMHO). If you will look on ebay, there are always quite a few knives for sale. If cost is an issue, work on your knife and get it sharp. If you're not comfortable with sharpening it, it may be worth your $ to send it to Bob and have him tune it up for you....that way, when you get it back...you'll know what sharp really means, and it will be easier to maintain it. I use to think I knew what sharp was and how to sharpen, until I met Bob and tried his knives...I wasn't getting my knives sharp at at all! I don't know anything about Weaver knives, but Bruce's comment is enough for me! Sounds like you already have it's equivelent. Also, I recommend staying away form stainless. It's good, but not nearly as good as the regular steel knives. If nothing else, call Douglas and pick his brain, he's a great guy and won't steer you wrong!

Bob

The Weaver Master Tool roundknives are super for the money. I have two. With only some stropping they will stay sharp for hours. I don't think you can find a better knife for any price. Just my opinion and yes I have Osborne's old and new the Weaver has them beat hands down.