swivelsphinx

Stingray Hide: Cutting Tools & Methods

Hi There!

I work with a few exotics like snake, lizard, fish and ostrich leg. I mostly do small pieces, such as collars and cuffs. I have a few stingray skins, and am considering the best way to cut my shapes. As I understand it, it is easier to *punch* from the back side. I often use a combination of high-quality shears and blades (Gingher and X-acto) to make my cuts in other materials. The edges are often concealed by a veg-tan frame in the end, so I have to rough up the edges of the cut piece anyway. I have used emery boards, Dremel sanding barrels and ordinary sandpaper for that. If anyone has experience cutting stingray, please let me know what side you cut from, and what tools you prefer.

Thanks,

The Swivelsphinx

Edited by swivelsphinx

I wish I had something to offer, but I'm in the same boat looking for the best way to cut this stuff. Simple project for me, just a straight watch strap, but nice, clean edges are key. Hopefully someone who's been down this road will chime in soon.

Clair

Cutting stingray is a bear because of the "buttons". I've had my best results using a pair of tinsnips..

Happy Trails,

Jeff

I am with Jeff. I use tinsnips on the bogger skins, and those EMT safety/seat belt cutting scissors on the ones with little beads. I cut with the flesh side up. If you cut through these beads, some can be as sharp as cut glass and I have bled. You can gind them somewhat smooth with a Dremel and sanding drum.

I have used razor knives ,shears ,tinsnips but by far the best and fastest way I have found is my steel cutting bandsaw.Cuts it like butter and as fast as you push it, then over to my belt sander to clean up the edge.Slick as a whistle.Dave

Hey Bruce!

Thanks for the advice- and the caution! I can get a hold of EMT scissors, for certain. I usually layer my exotic over veg. tan before I shape it. From what you have said here, that may not be practical with this stuff!

The Swivelsphinx

Hi Dave!

A bandsaw? Really! Well, I have one which I usually reserve for woodcutting, or occasionally slicing up catlinite. While I can see the logic in using a tooth for metals (one of the replies here described the "bubbles" of the skin getting an edge as sharp as glass), I was wondering if you support the stingray skin with something before cutting it. It's thinner than any wood I've cut with it and less rigid than copper shingles. I am concerned with the stuff gatting caught in the blade. Do you think I could use a scrollsaw blade designed for metal instead? My scrollsaw is a little easier to control than my bandsaw.

Thanks,

Swivelsphinx

It really works the best witha very fine tooth blade,hence a metal blade versus a wood cutting blade.I made the table for my bandsaw so the slot is very narrow so no I don't have to support it,but with a wide gap on your table just get some scrap wood to set the skin on for support.Don't know never tried a sroll saw on it,just use a fine blade.Dave

Hi There!

I work with a few exotics like snake, lizard, fish and ostrich leg. I mostly do small pieces, such as collars and cuffs. I have a few stingray skins, and am considering the best way to cut my shapes. As I understand it, it is easier to *punch* from the back side. I often use a combination of high-quality shears and blades (Gingher and X-acto) to make my cuts in other materials. The edges are often concealed by a veg-tan frame in the end, so I have to rough up the edges of the cut piece anyway. I have used emery boards, Dremel sanding barrels and ordinary sandpaper for that. If anyone has experience cutting stingray, please let me know what side you cut from, and what tools you prefer.

Thanks,

The Swivelsphinx

Not that I am an expert to this forum but have made several stingray holsters and read up a bunch on those that use it. A simple pair of walmart sissors will cut stingray. However, do it often and it will dull the blades quickly. Do not use an expensive pair of leather shears. You can also cut it rather easily from the back side (flesh side) with a box knife. It too will dull the blade but blades are cheap. I love stingray as it is so durable.