Gregmw

Tools To Buy At Tandy For $40.00

Hi,

I have a $40.00 gift certificate /Credit from Tandy Leather..

I already own 10 various engraving tools (B197,B702,A104,c431,s706,f910,v407,u710,p206,f891)+ a swivel knife and modeller...

If you had those tools and $40.00 what would you get .I also have to consider freight.

I am very new to this and like picture engraving and making engraved guitar straps (

Regards

Greg

I am very new to this and like picture engraving and making engraved guitar straps (

Have you considered one of their strap cutters to make cutting the guitar straps out a little easier on yourself? You could probably pickup the strap cutter

and possibly some of their hardware with the left over cash on the certificate.

Have you considered one of their strap cutters to make cutting the guitar straps out a little easier on yourself? You could probably pickup the strap cutter

and possibly some of their hardware with the left over cash on the certificate.

Thanks for that idea,but I was kind of thinking of extra stamping tools...

Regards

Greg

I would look at what your main focus is, and what you will need to do that. The main thing is to buy tools that YOU will use. Everyone is different, and what I have may be far different from what you may need.

My main comment will be to look at the quality of the item, and buy the best that you can afford. One thing that Tandy does that kind of irks me is that they really tout some items that are gussied up, have a famous name attached, or some other marketing ploy to run the cost up. I would pass on the "Damascus" , and stainless knives, and some of the other cheap Chinese tools that they have. Also watch the ads since they run specials on some items fairly often. Granite slabs, and glass slickers can be found for free, or be made from found materials, so get the things that you cannot make, or find easily.

Sorry to not be very specific, but not knowing exactly what you currently do (pictures, and guitar straps is somewhat vague) we cannot give you specifics, now in general here are some basic tools that you might like to pick up. A good rotary hole punch, not the flimsy sheet metal one. I have my Mom's forged one from the 1950's and wouldn't trade it. A good rawhide mallet, or maul whichever you prefer. I have always used mallets myself, but will be tying a maul soon to see how it works for me. Do you stitch your straps? Maybe a good sewing awl. Rivet, and snap setters come in handy.

Something that that may be the best thing for you to pick up are books. Books on stamping, tooling, and carving so that you know what tools do what. Books on lacing if you lace you straps. I have several books, and they are very useful.

Edited by BIGGUNDOCTOR