Sign in to follow this  
Spinner

Mini-Solo Bag

This was a bag I did the prototype for last summer. I got busy and never ended up making a production version. Interestingly enough, a fellow rider saw the bag discussed on my blog and asked if I would finish the design and make him a real one.

I custom make the brackets out of brass and paint them as well as shown in one of the pictures. 9oz. back panel for stability, 4oz front to do the wetforming and a 6oz. flap to give it a solid look & feel. Triple loop lacing in kangaroo for the edges (I'm very happy with how the lacing turned out, even around the odd corners). Finished the patterns (and converted them along with the wet forming blank to left side mount) and then cut, dyed, laced and etc. the whole thing in two evenings. Gotta love it when a project is inspiring enough to crank it out. Now I just need to make a set for my bike with some tooling on them!

The first two pictures are the photos the client saw of the prototype that spurred his request. I'd say the one he's getting looks just a touch nicer. ;)

Chris

post-10543-062176300 1311145181_thumb.jp

post-10543-028061200 1311145186_thumb.jp

post-10543-065274900 1311145194_thumb.jp

post-10543-028792100 1311145202_thumb.jp

post-10543-032461200 1311145206_thumb.jp

post-10543-042303100 1311145213_thumb.jp

post-10543-079064800 1311145220_thumb.jp

post-10543-024219000 1311145361_thumb.jp

That is nice. I like the lacing too.

Thanks Wishful. :cheers:

spinner, this is so clean and well designed. The lacing is great...especially the corners..lol...i hate lacing corners! The bracket design is very clever...no one will be stealing that bag and many will want too!!!!! I am sure you will be getting lots of orders....put your makers stamp on the front so the admirers will know who to call!!!!

spinner, this is so clean and well designed. The lacing is great...especially the corners..lol...i hate lacing corners! The bracket design is very clever...no one will be stealing that bag and many will want too!!!!! I am sure you will be getting lots of orders....put your makers stamp on the front so the admirers will know who to call!!!!

Thanks Roo! Funny you mention the maker's mark because after I shipped it this morning I was looking at the pictures and realized I forgot to stamp this one at all! :head_hurts_kr: I need to get my workbenches built in the new leatherworking space so I can move my press in (the press is in the wood shop so I occasionally forget to go out and makers stamp a piece). The nice thing is about the bracket is that it uses the same pins as the footpeg so it literally can be installed or swapped out with the footpeg in 2-3 minutes, that is if you know how it mounts. ;)

Nice job buddy - 'like that better than swingarm bags by far :)