barbiesdude

Cutting Rawhide String

When I'm cutting my string down to it's final width ( after I've cut a 1/2 wide strip from a disc with an Aussie strander ), I am having a little trouble with it riding up on the finger of my Hansen. A couple people suggested that my string may be to wet and that is totally possible, It just seemed that when the temper was firmer it was cutting hard, kind of like cutting plastic. I did change my blade around to ensure a fresh edge and that helped some. Just wondering if I need to play around with the temper more and fine tune it? How do you guys ( general term, gals included ) get the right temper consistanly?

Also, I was braiding a 4 strand round ( kind of like a mini reata ) hat band last night and it started out fine, but as I got about 21/2 feet into it, I started having trouble getting it tight. Tried the pushing up technique but it seemed to make the braid a little kinky? Tried pulling harder but that was difficult to pull 3/16" strands harder. I tried to keep it soaped but it still seemed to dry a little towards the end. Any suggestions? Thanks for any input.

Jamie

When I'm cutting my string down to it's final width ( after I've cut a 1/2 wide strip from a disc with an Aussie strander ), I am having a little trouble with it riding up on the finger of my Hansen. A couple people suggested that my string may be to wet and that is totally possible, It just seemed that when the temper was firmer it was cutting hard, kind of like cutting plastic. I did change my blade around to ensure a fresh edge and that helped some. Just wondering if I need to play around with the temper more and fine tune it? How do you guys ( general term, gals included ) get the right temper consistanly?

Also, I was braiding a 4 strand round ( kind of like a mini reata ) hat band last night and it started out fine, but as I got about 21/2 feet into it, I started having trouble getting it tight. Tried the pushing up technique but it seemed to make the braid a little kinky? Tried pulling harder but that was difficult to pull 3/16" strands harder. I tried to keep it soaped but it still seemed to dry a little towards the end. Any suggestions? Thanks for any input.

Jamie

It just takes a lot of messin with to find the right feel with rawhide. There is no easy answer. What I usually do with longer braids is start in the middle and braid one way leaving the other end in a ziploc bag until I start that direction. This helps keep the moisture consistant on both ends. If after your work dries you have gaps in your braid then your braiding to wet. Once you finish your braid get a piece of 1"x 4"x 16" hardwood and roll your work on a hard surface to smooth it up. Hope this helps.

It just takes a lot of messin with to find the right feel with rawhide. There is no easy answer. What I usually do with longer braids is start in the middle and braid one way leaving the other end in a ziploc bag until I start that direction. This helps keep the moisture consistant on both ends. If after your work dries you have gaps in your braid then your braiding to wet. Once you finish your braid get a piece of 1"x 4"x 16" hardwood and roll your work on a hard surface to smooth it up. Hope this helps.

Just what I was about to say....!

If what you are cutting feels like you are cutting plastic, it's too dry, and you've missed the best temper. When I have rawhide that gets this way, I will dip it in warm to hot water, until it starts to soften up, not soaked, and shake off the excess water, and into the humidifier. I use a 14" Tupperware pie keeper. Have two, for stuff that is made up, and ready to braid with, and stuff that is getting prepped. I keep paper towels in the bottom, and put a few over the rawhide, to keep the moisture from condensing on the string in any one place. Plus, the dry paper towels will absorb excess moisture from the string. I check it - if the towels are damp feeling, and the string is too damp, I will change out to more dry towels. I lay the damp ones on the bench, and use them later for other things, or, if they are dry and I need to change the towels again, I switch them back in. Will do this until the strips are where I need them to cut, bevel, etc.

Another suggestion on blades is to use a permanent marker and mark the cutting edge end to end with the marker. As you pull your string, you can see where the unused area of the blade remains, and can move it up/down to get full use of it.

"It just takes a lot of messin with to find the right feel with rawhide."

That's a mouthful alright. I fell out of love with rawhide a long time ago but when you get it cased just right it works.

Sounds too simple but that's about it.

-Guapo

p.s. I guess I should add that I case my strings by putting them in a bathroom towel that has been wet and rung out. I let them set until cased and then unplug the phone and go to work. I once called an old time braider in Idaho and he said, "You'll have to talk to my wife, my strings are drying out." So I did. She was a wealth of information after living with him for about 50 years.

Edited by Guapo

Thanks for all the great tips guys. Didn't think about starting in the middle with a ziploc on one end, will definately try that. Good one on marking the blade with a marker, will do that also. I know time and experience are good teachers, but if I could speed that up somehow...... A guy told me once ( about horsemanship ) " experience can't be bought and it can't be taught " If anyone thinks of anything else, keep'em coming.

Jamie

Hey! I don't have a hansen, but a handmade cutter and beveler. What I use is 1/2 a wooden clothspin to put downward pressure on it as I pull it through. No hard just enough to keep it against the guide to cut straight. I also made a nicer stick out of hardwood with a square cut out of a corner and use it while beveling. I've found sharp blades make your string though, and obviously temper. I for sure found through Mr. Nate Wald, and Mr. Don Brown that I has a tendency to cut my string too wet and that made a real uneven cut, so I cut and braid my string alot drier now! Not dry, just drier. Not sure if the stick might help, but its saved my thumb learning. Best of luck and happy braiding!

Yeah, pretty sure that was my problem too, cutting to wet. I have since cut some decent string. Thanks to Shelley and all the rest for getting me pointed in the right direction. I hope to one day go and learn from someone like Nate. Maybe that will spped up my process of learning.

Jamie

Hey! I don't have a hansen, but a handmade cutter and beveler. What I use is 1/2 a wooden clothspin to put downward pressure on it as I pull it through. No hard just enough to keep it against the guide to cut straight. I also made a nicer stick out of hardwood with a square cut out of a corner and use it while beveling. I've found sharp blades make your string though, and obviously temper. I for sure found through Mr. Nate Wald, and Mr. Don Brown that I has a tendency to cut my string too wet and that made a real uneven cut, so I cut and braid my string alot drier now! Not dry, just drier. Not sure if the stick might help, but its saved my thumb learning. Best of luck and happy braiding!

I can say from having gone to the workshop with Mehl Lawson and Nate Wald that want2braid also went to, it REALLY sped up my learning curve. They are great teachers and really want to take the time with anyone at any braiding level to improve on the things they are struggling with. I will say this, if you ever get to go work with any of these great braiders, have an idea on what you want to work on. There is so much that we do or are interested in doing that a lot of times I think people arent focused enough when they are starting out and have specific things they want to work on. If you are having trouble getting consistent tension in your braiding, focus directly on that. If you are having trouble tying certain knots, work on that. Work on these things until you have them down cold and you dont have to look in a book any more except maybe for a little refresher.

There is a braiding workshop this February in Oklahoma City at the Cowboy Hall of Fame that I think Nate and Leland Hensley will be teaching at and I have worked with both and both are extremely nice guys and great teachers. The spring workshop (i think) will be over the beginnings of making a bosal, and then the fall workshop during the TCAA show will be over some more advanced techniques. I think the idea is to start a bosal in February and then bring it back in October and have them critique it and work on harder stuff. The workshops are like 4 or 5 days long, not sure on the price, but I will say that it is an investment that any braider should be happy to pay, even if you arent wanting to do this as a business. There is just too much "feel" that goes into braiding rawhide that you cant get from a book and really need to learn from someone else first hand.

I myself am planning on going to this workshop and hope to see EVERYONE that frequents these forums also attend, because they are a lot of fun.

CW

P.S. Sorry if I highjacked the thread, just wanted to let you know about the workshops coming up

Good deal, you are getting some good string cut. It takes good string, to braid good gear! I'm glad b/c Ms. Shelly is a great braider, and her idea is awesome. I found on my finer strands like calf, I barely wet it, and then put it in a bag and it condensates and gets way to wet. I think the paper towels in a tupperware would do the trick. Leatherpounder is also a very good braider I was fortunate to meet in Elko, last year at the poetry gathering. His idea works well, I have used that method on romal reins, and bosal bodies.

Aggie braider has a good thought. The clinic would be great to attend. Not just from help from Nate and Leland, but the networking with other braiders as well. There are other amazing braiders there that almost makes you wonder why they are there... but they too are trying to always improve their braiding, which is what keeps me inspired. There are several braiders that I can call, text, or email with questions. The other thing he mentioned was focus... that is right, I was the inspiration for that thought. I was bouncing around doing a little of everything, but had done alot of what they worked on and was just studying technique. The 2nd day I buckled down half a day and did a rawhide nosebutton, and learned a cool little method, I didn't think was possible! I'll be attending the advanced one in the fall, and if not interfering with reining/cowhorse shows, I may go to part or all of the bosal clinic in Feb.. Keep braiding and have a good one!

Brent

I would love to go to that clinic, it's just a matter of will the finances be there at the time. Maybe I can sweet talk my better half into it by then. I wish there were more clinics like that on this side of the country. Just cut some good latigo string yesterday to plait over my first bosal core. I'm pretty excited about that. I'll try to post some pics soon if I can figure out how to shrink them down.

Jamie

Good deal, you are getting some good string cut. It takes good string, to braid good gear! I'm glad b/c Ms. Shelly is a great braider, and her idea is awesome. I found on my finer strands like calf, I barely wet it, and then put it in a bag and it condensates and gets way to wet. I think the paper towels in a tupperware would do the trick. Leatherpounder is also a very good braider I was fortunate to meet in Elko, last year at the poetry gathering. His idea works well, I have used that method on romal reins, and bosal bodies.

Aggie braider has a good thought. The clinic would be great to attend. Not just from help from Nate and Leland, but the networking with other braiders as well. There are other amazing braiders there that almost makes you wonder why they are there... but they too are trying to always improve their braiding, which is what keeps me inspired. There are several braiders that I can call, text, or email with questions. The other thing he mentioned was focus... that is right, I was the inspiration for that thought. I was bouncing around doing a little of everything, but had done alot of what they worked on and was just studying technique. The 2nd day I buckled down half a day and did a rawhide nosebutton, and learned a cool little method, I didn't think was possible! I'll be attending the advanced one in the fall, and if not interfering with reining/cowhorse shows, I may go to part or all of the bosal clinic in Feb.. Keep braiding and have a good one!

Brent

Just convince them to give you money or a plane ticket for the trip for christmas. I did that last year and seemed like every family member wanted to pony up at least a little cash once they found out I was going lol.

GREAT!!! idea.

Just convince them to give you money or a plane ticket for the trip for christmas. I did that last year and seemed like every family member wanted to pony up at least a little cash once they found out I was going lol.

I don't have a lot to add to what everyone has said, but I do have one little thing that has helped me. I was having a tough time getting the right temper and actually ruined a couple of rounds as I was trying to string them out. What I do now is temper some scrap from the same hide along with my rounds or rough-cut string. That way I can test out on the scrap and not risk my good stuff. I felt kinda dumb for not doing that before as it just makes too much sense - but it may help someone out there.

Rob

That does make alot of sense, will definately do in the future.

Jamie

I don't have a lot to add to what everyone has said, but I do have one little thing that has helped me. I was having a tough time getting the right temper and actually ruined a couple of rounds as I was trying to string them out. What I do now is temper some scrap from the same hide along with my rounds or rough-cut string. That way I can test out on the scrap and not risk my good stuff. I felt kinda dumb for not doing that before as it just makes too much sense - but it may help someone out there.

Rob

I've added this before. Take a bucket or plastic container, put a screen about 6 inches from the bottom, soak large string for an hour or small string for just a little time and place in container with about an inch of water in bottom. Cover with plastic in a warm spot. The rawhide will pull moisture up and be evenly tempered. I made some string for hondas yesterday, put them in last night, and braided 2 this evening. Just had to swab a little soapy water to bring everything up to snuff. The container generates its own heat from the plastic so be careful. With button string I just dunk it in water and put it in the container. Brad