DJ1935

Dust In Leather?

Last week a rep bought round some "new" sides of russet and asked me what I thought. The sides were small, about 13 sq feet and had no wrinkles or stretch marks and were around 9 to 10 oz. The surface had no finish on it, just a very slight nap. Although it was supposed to be "natural" russet it had a reddish tinge, almost the colour of chestnut skirting. It occurred to me that it would make very good belts so I took a side to give it a try and see how it dyed up etc so I could report back to the firm with a verdict. By the time I had trimmed off the back to get a straight edge the carpet on my cutting table had turned red - likewise my clothing where I had been bending over the side. Looking across the side into the sunlight you could see a fine red dust rising up when the leather was disturbed - it looked pretty much like the dust from red bricks. I immediately donned a mask and sprayed the entire side with water before proceeding to roll it up and vacumn my table. I contacted the leather supplier and they contacted the tannery in India who would only say that the dust is part of the tanning process and is completely harmless to humans. In a previous life I was involved in the Painting and Decorating business and know full well that any fine dust in your lungs is harmful. I have also been playing with leather for the last forty years and have never struck anything like this in any of the leather I've used. Has anyone out there come across this before? And do you know what it is? Thanks DJ

I don't know what it is but keep this in mind. Most other countries use tanning chemicals that are dangerous and illegal in this country.

American leather is expencive but it won't make your junk fall off.

Edited by PappyUSA

I totally agree, Pappy. Unfortunately here in New Zealand we no longer have a tannery that produces vege tanned leather and most of the leather workers here are totally reliant on what the suppliers bring into the country. Due to shppping costs, etc the cost of American leather is doubled by the time it gets into our hands hence the suppliers are looking for cheaper - not necessarily better - options.

That's not good. But perhaps if you could round up enough buyers on your end you could import enough of it to make it a profitable venture for you..

Edited by PappyUSA

Doesn't NZ have pretty strict import/quarantine restrictions similar to AU? I do shipping full time for a health care/research facility here in the US and know that often times shipments to either your country or the other get held up due to the potential arm loads of paperwork required to get "things" into said country. Granted I'm not usually having to process shipments of leather so maybe I'm way off base here. Also I'm not sitting in front of my work computer with the 1,000,001 saved links regarding shipping regs either so....

Horn

That dust is not part of the tanning process. It is known as "red rot". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_rot_%28leather%29

Bingo! Thank you, mrdabeetle, that description fits it to a tee. I will tell the supplier the good news, I'm sure they will be more than chuffed! No need to apologise, Pappy, I was pleased to have your input, thanks. And yes, Hornm we do have quite strict limitations on importing some items, for instance we cannot import any leather made from Cites listed animals, including Kangaroo without a lot of paper work and cost - then there is still no guarantee that you will be allowed the goods. There are saddle makers here who pool together and import a pallet of sides between them. I generally bring in a side or two from the USA when I need them with no problem apart from the cost of freight which is generally the same as the cost of the hide - effectively doubles the cost of the leather but I guess that is the joys of living at the bottom of the world!! Thanks to all, DJ

Wow, thanks mrdabeetle, I had never heard of that before. That's really good info to know. Hope I never run into it either.

Bob

So, the leather is pretty much rubbish because it's degraded with red rot?

Also, "chuffed". I'm a little confused, a little clarification for the dimwit over here. :dunno: I've heard this used to describe someone who was pleased. And also used to describe someone that is annoyed. Will your supplier be chuffed/pleased with the good news that the dust is just leather powder, or chuffed/displeased that the "good" news that the dust is red rot?

Edited by WinterBear

Sorry, WinterBear, I was being factious. Having imported this "russet" in good faith the supplier is now stuck with a heap of rotten leather he cant sell and the cost of returning it will be horrendous. They are not a big firm so the impact will be significant.

Hard lesson of buying known quality from a reputable source for more money rather than cheap fast deal from the world unknown

Sorry to hear this, hope your supplier recovers

The Leather Conservation Centre did some research on red rot an article on it can be found here http://www.leatherconservation.org/treatment-for-acid-deterioration-leather/

DJ, have you looked into Greenhalgh Tannery in Australia http://www.gretannery.com.au/ they still vegetable tan and it might be a bit cheaper postage wise than from America.

Thank you, CEM, much appreciated. I rang Greenhalgh Tannery today. Very helpful and offered to send over some samples which I am looking forward to seeing. Have you used any of their leather?

Not yet, I plan to once I've used this lot of Hermann Oak up with the Aussie dollar on the decline it's probably going to get too expensive for me to bring as much in. I'm sure someone on the forum has used it though, might of been leatheroo.

Sorry, WinterBear, I was being factious. Having imported this "russet" in good faith the supplier is now stuck with a heap of rotten leather he cant sell and the cost of returning it will be horrendous. They are not a big firm so the impact will be significant.

I thought you might be but couldn't be sure without tone or body language to back it up. What a horrible blow to your supplier.