Drac

cutesy things to do with scrap leather

all of these were made using scrap leather. figured a good way to use it up and get some more practice tooling while trying to figure out the truncated cone thingie. the border on the red heart on the righthand side was an accident. started doing the edge with a sharpie and I guess the super sheen wasn't quite dry yet so it pulled the color into it. think it looks okay though. the ovals are 4" by 2" and the hearts are 4" by 3 1/2". now let's see what you guys come with it! :)

DSC_0001.JPG

post-5673-1206738978_thumb.jpg

well done drac...we all have lots of scraps about

That's a good idea. I have 5 sisters and 14 billion nieces always wanting me to make them something. Practice and use up scraps. nice.

Although I could probably easily look into it myself, but since I'm already typing I might as well ask, Where do the sticks come from?

Thanks for the great idea.

John

roo

thanks! something like this might be nice for little leathercat to practice on and give her friends.

john

danke! I got the sticks at tandy, but I know you find all sorts from plain like this to fancy around at different places. sally's probably carries 'em too. know lots of chics who get fancy looking chopsticks to hold their hair up, so one of these in an oriental motif with a chopstick or 2 would be snazzy. think I'll have ta try that one now. :Panyway, what I was trying to say with the last statement before the idea bug tagged me, was that if it's the right size, it'll work. I almost got a dowel and a pencil sharpener to do the sticks with.

Did you stiffen the leather, if so what with?'

roo

thanks! something like this might be nice for little leathercat to practice on and give her friends.

john

danke! I got the sticks at tandy, but I know you find all sorts from plain like this to fancy around at different places. sally's probably carries 'em too. know lots of chics who get fancy looking chopsticks to hold their hair up, so one of these in an oriental motif with a chopstick or 2 would be snazzy. think I'll have ta try that one now. :Panyway, what I was trying to say with the last statement before the idea bug tagged me, was that if it's the right size, it'll work. I almost got a dowel and a pencil sharpener to do the sticks with.

Nice work Drac! Great idea for the "scrap" pile!

jsut

nope, no stiffening. cut, case, carve, airbrush, seal with super sheen. used 1/4" punch for the holes so the sticks have just enough room to slide in but still have enough friction to hold 'em in place. the leather's 5-6 oz veg tan.

froggie

thanks! I've got a ton of scrap (okay, maybe only half a ton) so I gotta come up with ways to use it that'll hopefully make either money or somebody happy when they get it.

jsut

nope, no stiffening. cut, case, carve, airbrush, seal with super sheen. used 1/4" punch for the holes so the sticks have just enough room to slide in but still have enough friction to hold 'em in place. the leather's 5-6 oz veg tan.

froggie

thanks! I've got a ton of scrap (okay, maybe only half a ton) so I gotta come up with ways to use it that'll hopefully make either money or somebody happy when they get it.

Oh come now......leather crafters never have "leftovers"!! I think sometimes my "scrap bin" gets larger than my good stuff bin!

froggie

*L* okay, howzabout "inspirationally challenged pieces" then? and I hear ya on the bins!

Drac, those are cute thingies.... if i had more hair, i could use one. :head_hurts_kr:

Quick question....on the star one how firm is it? The reason I am asking is I want to make something that has a part of it cut out.

Thanks! you did great work

bob

no back hair? LOL

sage

bitte! I'll check it tomorrow and let ya know. if nothing else you could try wetting and forming yours with heat to stiffen it. also the lines are only 1/8" wide using 5-6 oz leather.

Edited by Drac

Very nice and cute stuff!

Tom

jsut

froggie

i have thought of making rune sets out of scraps, chess peices (travel chess) with board foldind into carrying tube, I don't have enough scrap at the moment, cause only really starting out and far too precious about every little bit of leather. I daresay everything will change .... soon

Drac, These are awesome!!! I love your idea. I will post one I did later but these are truly money brotha. If nothing else they can pay for the booth.

These are made from my scraps and some leftovers from belts I buy at Goodwill, my wife sells them like crazy......we get the metal backs for the barrettes at Hobby Lobby.

small_1.JPG

post-5889-1206884981_thumb.jpg

what a cool way to use up those little scrap peices we all have layin' around (my cats usually wind up turning mine into toys). I've considered turning some of my longer scraps into place holders for books. now I have something to do with the smaller peices. thanks Drac

Edited by zman7458

maybe we should have a scrap bin show off thread. it could give all of us ideas.

broncobuster

that was kinda my intention with this one. was hoping everybody would post up what they'd come up with to make out of scrap instead of just color swatches/spreaders/need something to write on quick pieces. that way I'd have new ideas to steal... er, borrow... um, I mean get inspired from. *L*

so come everybody! put on those thinking caps (I'm sure someone's wil fit over his tinfoil one) and get ta thunkin'! leathercat's coasters, mine and jeff's barrettes (gee, that just sounds kinda odd :P), what's next? I've got a couple more uses for me scraps too, but we need more on here! let's get those hamsters a-runnin' and those wheels a-turnin'! :)

I used to make these "Hammer Hats" out of scrap, but they would take sooo long to make I don't do it anymore.

DSCF0829.JPG

Ken

post-1605-1206982965_thumb.jpg

My wife's a seven year survivor of breast cancer, so I make these out of my scraps, sell them for 5 bucks apiece, and donate the money to breast cancer research. the bracelet I saw in a store at our local artists colony for $45( yup, $45), came home, pulled out the bag of latigo scraps and a sam brown button..... Don't have the heart to charge that much though.( man, $45)

Scrap_things_001__Medium_.jpg

Scrap_things_002__Medium_.jpg

post-4924-1207007414_thumb.jpg

post-4924-1207007430_thumb.jpg

Another for the scrap gallery I just finished this cigarette belt case

P4070128.JPG

P4070129.JPG

P4070132.JPG

post-4868-1207600467_thumb.jpg

post-4868-1207600506_thumb.jpg

post-4868-1207600541_thumb.jpg

excellent "scrap" goodies everybody! keep 'em comin'!

Most of my scrap is cut into small geometric shapes which I let kids "help" stamp with a 3D picture stamp. At the Christmas rodeo this past year, I gave away a lot of these. Of coarse this does keep people standing at my booth longer and sometimes that leads to a sale or two.

Excellent work cutting the pentagram out, lines look incredibly straight and clean!