Boriqua

Spraying Resolene?

I have been spraying resolene for over a year but it is always a bear so I thought I would finally come and ask what others are doing. I use a standard syphon harbor freight air brush.

I cut the resolene with tap water at 50/50. I usually cut about 1/2 cup to make a cup of cut resolene and put it in a jar so I am not mixing it fresh every time I use it. When I use it I add the mix to my syphon cup using an eyedropper. The pressure on my tank is set at around 30.

I get all sorts of hiccups and spits and it stops spraying and I have to mess with it to get it spraying again. then it will spray for a few minutes so long as I am mashing down on the trigger but if I stop to move the piece around it wont spray anymore and I have to mess with it :(

I finally get coverage but its not anything I look forward to doing but I love the finish much better than rubbing it on. Are you using something else to cut with besides tap water, is my pressure to low, should I be mixing a fresh batch every time I go to spray? I just pulled my brush apart and cleaned it and its better but still a pain. If I run the cut resolene through a coffee filter I get a week or so use out of it problem free but I cant see how particulates can be getting in a sealed container. ANY advice would be greatly appreciated.

Alex

I spray it - but I thin it a bit more, and use a fairly large airbrush tip (not sure the measurement), and clean the brush after each use. Works good, but I usually don't mess with it until I have at least 3 projects ready for finish coat --- just not going to bother with cleaning for each item (unless it's large, in which case pay no attention to the previous ;) )

So, maybe 40/60 (more filtered water than acrylic), + large nozzle, + about 40 psi

I use an airbrush for spraying and filter everything (including resolene) before use!

Don't buy filters they cost a fortune. I have a metre of synthetic gauze bought from a material shop and just cut what I need for filtering....you can also wash it depending on what you are filtering. Works a treat:))

I think you need to thin it some more, adjust your airbrush some, and filter it. My airbrushed always run better if I filter the media.

The hf airbrushed aren't that great to start with, and I find myself taking the tip off and cleaning the needle frequently during use. If the media is thin, and loosen the needle and push it in and out a few times to clear the clog.

What is synthetic gauze? Is it like a gauze bandage? If so, how do you prevent the gauze from absorbing so much liquid? What's the most efficient way to filter? I've never filtered but wondering now if this would fix some of the issues I have.

Here's what is working for me. Plastic storage bottle from HF and a chunk of dollar store pantyhose screwed into the cap as a filter. I haven't had any clogs since throwing these together.

post-55023-0-75877700-1448932820_thumb.j

Edited by CrazedLemming

Here's what is working for me. Plastic storage bottle from HF and a chunk of dollar store pantyhose screwed into the cap as a filter. I haven't had any clogs since throwing these together.

Great idea! I made a new batch .. I used store bought distilled water this time and not tap. I should have done that all along. Arizona has some HARD water. I diluted it about 60% and I filtered the mix through a coffee filter. I have a mess of them from a coffee maker I dont have anymore. I turned the compressor up to about 35 for the resolene and it sprayed beautifully.

What I like about your idea is you don’t have to open the jar to get material possibly letting in contaminants. Just pour what you need straight from the nozzle. I love it... trip to HF this week and I may have some pantyhose material around from my shoe polishing kit.

Alex

I have never sprayed finishing coats on my work but, have been having problems lately with streaking. Some of you have suggested spraying finishing coats on. I have been given a small compressor and am wondering if I can use an airbrush to apply lacquer/ finish to my work. If so, what airbrush brand and size should I purchase. Do I also need to filter lacquer before putting it in the airbrush? Please help someone! Leather Maid (Jamie) Brisbane Australia

I love the way the lacquer looks but I used it on a holster once and the guy who bought it brought a know it all friend who proclaimed it was two stiff and upon taking it from his hands started to bend the whole thing back and forth like he was breaking in a baseball glove and then started squeezing the mouth closed. To stiff you see. Completely destroyed the finish. It had cracks all over it! Maybe I had it on to thick but I had used it for years without a problem so I am anxious to see what responses you get regarding cutting it.

I also purchased the HF Airbrush and was using the same 50/50 mix as you were, Bariqua. I was also running the mix through a pair of my wife's stockings. The air brush was spitting then clogged. I then purchased the Neo TRN-2 pistol grip airbrush, `what a difference, it has a much larger nozzle. No clogging, it gives a nice even coat.I'am still using the HF compressor on 20 or 30, works great.

I have the Fiebings book of Top Finishes, it has Tan-Kote, mix with water if using a sprayer. It doesn't mention how much water. It does say that you can mix a small amount of dye with the Tan-Kote and water. I haven't tried it yet.It says, you can mix Bag Kote with up to 20 % water. I used it and it worked fine. The Acrylic Resolene seems to be thinner with the 50/50 water mix then the Bag-Kote.I do love the way the air brush workes with dyes, comes out great.

Jim

I have to look into the differences between the tan kote, bag Kote and resolene. I have been having good luck since I thoroughly cleaned the brush and made a new batch of resolene. The new batch I did with distilled water, 60% ish water and filtered through a coffee filter on its way to the jar. I also set the pressure up to about 40lbs on my compressor when spraying resolene now. Only issue now is ... since its cut so much it is really matte. Upside is, you can wet the leather pretty well without worrying about putting on to much resolene and it drys fast. So far it does what I need ... seal in the color and protect the leather. I have checked and there is no color rub and its fairly water repellent but .. I do miss having a bit more sheen.

I only use the HF brush for resolene. I have an Iwata eclipse I use for dye's and for finer painting work. I figure for 15 bucks if I trash the HF I can just throw it away but it is still going strong a year later.