has anyone ever used a wood stain to stain leather? if so what kinds are best?

Do a search here for wood stain and you will find a few posts. Also search for wood dye. More info there too.

Tom

Cole,

I can't say for sure whether wood stains will work on leather, but I can say for certain that any stains that wouldn't add oils you don't necessarily want in your leather will contain solvents which will leach the natural oils out of your project. I am a furniture maker by trade and deal with such products daily. The only exception that springs to mind is aniline dye which is alcohol based (much like a "spirit dye"). Professional grade wood stains are formulated to be compatible with wood finishes and are not necessarily going to allow your leather finishes to bond properly. As to the overpriced junk from Home Depot, Lowe's etc, do you really want to put a product on your hard work that a pro wouldn't use to stain his doghouse? My recommendation is to use products designed for leather and avoid the heartache of using a stain formulated for another purpose.

Just my $.02

I've played with wood stains on leather and just didn't care for how they appeared. In my experiments, they gathered heavily in the pores of the hide and produced a very grainy look.